Write-by-the-Lake Writer’s Workshop and Retreat
Join writers from around the country at a professional retreat with a creative atmosphere
In 2013, over 130 writers from 15 states and other countries took advantage of beautiful, sunny weather in Madison, Wisconsin, to refresh their writing life. Our retreat features sessions for beginners and advanced writers (including Master Classes), and offers optional graduate credits in English.
Our current favorite Write-by-the-Lake success story features Theodore Wesenberg, of Oshkosh, Wis., who starts work on his MFA at the prestigious Northwestern University (Chicago) this summer. He specifically credits Write-by-the-Lake for helping him prepare his MFA submission. He says, "I trust the instructors—such as Angela Rydell, Laurie Scheer, and Kathy Steffen—to take my writing as seriously as I do. They not only critiqued my submission, but provided the tools and techniques I needed to fix it." Congratulations, Theodore!
At a glance
What: 5 days of professional instruction for writers of all levels
When: M-F, June 16-20, 2014 • 9:30a-12:30p each day
Who: Taught by leading educators and writers from UW-Madison and across the country
CEUs: Continuing education credits available. See fees & credits» for more information
Success stories: Continuing Studies students sign deals, get published, and win awards. Read their stories here»
Questions? Contact Christine DeSmet at firstname.lastname@example.org or (608) 262-3447
2014 sessions and speakers
1. Thrill Me: Creating the Momentum That Publishers Crave, with Tim Storm
2. Your First Novel: Fast and Finished! with Kathy Steffen
3. Building Powerful Plots: Strengthen the Structure of Your Novel, with Angela Rydell
4. Writing Compelling Creative Nonfiction Books, with Laurie Scheer
5. Richer Nonfiction Now (stories, essays, memoirs), with Amy Lou Jenkins
6. Turning Your Life Experiences into an Inspiring Book, with Julie Tallard Johnson
7. Constructing a Writer’s Toolkit: Improve Your Fiction and Nonfiction, with Brad Schreiber
8. Master Class/Complete and Ready to Compete? with Lori Devoti (full novels; limit 6; send application; enrollment with instructor permission)
9. Master Class/Finish, Polish, Publish, with Christine DeSmet (full novels; limit 6; send application; enrollment with instructor permission)
10. Master Class/Deep Revision—The 7 Cs of Fiction, with Laurel Yourke (limit 10; send application; enrollment with instructor permission)
11. Master Class/How to Create Non-Stereotypical, Three-Dimensional Characters, with Marilyn R. Atlas
12. Best Words, Best Order: A Poetry Workshop, with Marilyn Taylor
How it works and what we offer
Choose the one session you're most interested in. Limit of 15 participants per session unless noted. (Master classes #8 and #9 have a limit of 6 participants, master class #10 has a limit of 10.)
Sessions for beginning writers as well as those at publication level.
Optional: 1-3 graduate credits in English (offered in a partnership with UW-Madison Dept. of English).
Special low fees for nontraditional credit students. Plus, some grants may be available. See fees & credits page»
Meet your director
Author and scriptwriter Christine DeSmet teaches writing online and in person. She is the director of the annual June “Write-by-the-Lake Writer’s Workshop & Retreat," director of the fall “Weekend with Your Novel,” and coordinator of “Critique Services” for writers.
Thank you for your interest in Write by the Lake 2014!