A CEU is a nationally recognized way of recording your participation in noncredit professional development.
Many programs provide CEUs that are acceptable to use towards your continuing education requirements. See the program webpage for the number of CEUs/Approved Hours offered. One hour of instruction equals 0.1 CEUs. A six-hour workshop equals 0.6 CEUs.
Professional development participants will receive a CEU certificate of completion at the end of the program without having to request a transcript. The certificate is sufficient for license renewals. For those attending Behavioral Health programs, completion certificates will include verification in Continuing Education (CE) hours, as well as CEUs. See below for a complete list of continuing education approvals.
Students wishing to obtain an official transcript must complete a transcript request form and pay a transcript fee. Contact UW–Extension Student Records at 608-262-1953 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to check specifics for your state and profession regarding CEUs, non-credit, and for-credit requirements for professional development.
Approved hours for Behavioral Health professionals
UW–Madison Continuing Studies is an approved continuing education provider through the following:
- American Psychological Association (APA) — [for psychologists]: University of Wisconsin–Madison Continuing Studies is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. University of Wisconsin–Madison Continuing Studies maintains responsibility for programs and their content.
- National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. (NCHEC) — [for CHES®/MCHES®]: UW–Madison Continuing Studies (MEP101794) is a designated provider of continuing education contact hours (CECH) in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. Refer to program web page for approval information for Certified Health Education Specialists (CHES®) and Master Certified Health Education Specialists (MCHES®).
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction: Programs may qualify towards your Professional Development Plans (PDPs).
- Wisconsin Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists: Programs qualify as accredited university continuing education courses relevant to professional practice.
- Wisconsin Licensed Professional Counselors: Programs qualify as accredited university continuing education courses relevant to professional practice.
- Wisconsin Licensed Social Workers: Programs qualify as accredited university continuing education courses relevant to professional practice.
- Wisconsin Substance Abuse Counselors: Programs qualify as continuing education courses consisting of relevant subject matter taught by qualified presenters.
- Other professions: Contact your own board or organization for specific continuing education requirements.
Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM) Authorized Recertification Provider
Several of our Human Resources programs are authorized for SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP recertification hours. Please see Human Resources, Training & Development programs.