Earning Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
Earning Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
A CEU is a nationally recognized way of recording your participation in noncredit professional development.
Many programs provide CEUs that are acceptable to use towards your continuing education requirements. See the program webpage for the number of CEUs/Approved Hours offered. One hour of instruction equals 0.1 CEUs.
Professional development participants will receive a CEU certificate of completion at the end of the program without having to request a transcript. The certificate is sufficient for license renewals.
Students wishing to obtain an official transcript must complete a transcript request form and pay a transcript fee. Contact UW-Extension Student Records at 608-262-1953 or email email@example.com.
Be sure to check specifics for your state and profession regarding CEUs, non-credit, and for-credit requirements for professional development.
Approved hours for human services professionals
UW–Madison Continuing Studies is an acceptable continuing education provider for the following:
American Psychological Association (APA) — [for psychologists]
- University of Wisconsin–Madison Division of Continuing Studies is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. University of Wisconsin–Madison Division of Continuing Studies maintains responsibility for programs and their content.
Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) — [for social workers]
- UW–Madison Continuing Studies (provider #1042) is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) external linkwww.aswb.org , through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. UW–Madison Continuing Studies maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB approval Period 04/27/2016-04/27/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval.
- Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services, and the Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, and Minnesota Boards of Social Work recognize ACE programs.
Ethics and Boundaries
- Our programs meet the continuing education requirements for social workers, psychologists, counselors, and marriage and family therapists.
Guardian Ad Litem (GALs)
- Hours through the Wisconsin Board of Bar Examiners for two programs: Divorce and Family Mediation, and Mediation and Domestic Abuse.
- Continuing Legal Education (CLEs) hours through the Wisconsin Board of Bar Examiners for four programs: Divorce and Family Mediation, Mediation Skills: 40 Hour Basic Training, Mediation and Domestic Abuse, and Refining Your Mediator Skills.
National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) — [for licensed professional counselors]
- University of Wisconsin–Madison Division of Continuing Studies has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 5990. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. University of Wisconsin–Madison Division of Continuing Studies is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. (NCHEC) — [for CHES®/MCHES®]
- UW–Madison Continuing Studies (MEP101794) is a designated provider of continuing education contact hours (CECH) in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. Refer to program web page for approval information for Certified Health Education Specialists (CHES®) and Master Certified Health Education Specialists (MCHES®).
Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
- Programs may qualify towards your Professional Development Plans (PDPs).
Wisconsin Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists
- Programs qualify as accredited university continuing education courses relevant to professional practice.
Wisconsin Substance Abuse Counselors
- Programs qualify as continuing education courses consisting of relevant subject matter taught by qualified presenters.
- Contact your own board or organization for specific continuing education requirements.
Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM) Authorized Recertification Provider
Several of our HR programs, such as the Human Resource Management Certificate, are authorized for SHRM-CP SHRM-SCP recertification hours.