Maintain licensure or certification requirements and build skills and knowledge with professional development classes for psychologists, social workers, therapists, counselors, caseworkers, substance abuse professionals, health educators and others. Choose from online classes to fit your busy schedule and meet licensure deadlines.
Behavioral Health Specialities
Behavioral health programs offer mental health workshops, multi-day certificates and intensive training programs in several specialties, including:
- Ethics & Boundaries – Fulfill your ethics and boundaries licensure renewal requirements with live, interactive online or group-paced asynchronous courses taught by University of Wisconsin faculty/staff and leading experts in the field. Classes meet the continuing education requirements for licensed Wisconsin psychologists, social workers, marriage and family therapists, professional counselors and substance abuse counselors. Check with your state licensing board or professional organization for more licensure renewal requirements.
- Grief and Loss – Grief is a multifaceted process that affects us all. Through our online courses and certificates, you can increase your understanding of how grief impacts individuals and build your skills to be able to apply grief support in your personal and professional life.
- Human Services – Gain new ways of thinking and innovative approaches to addressing problems for the clients, patients, families, students, and others that you work with. We use a variety of online formats to increase knowledge and skills for a variety of human services and mental health providers. Courses meet multiple licensure requirements for psychologists, social workers, therapists, counselors, and others.
- Mental Health – Learn new information and master new evidence-based approaches to working with clients/patients in a variety of mental health settings. Courses are offered in a variety of online formats and meet multiple licensure requirements for psychologists, social workers, therapists, counselors and others.
- Motivational Interviewing – MI is a well-established, evidence-based practice for addressing a range of problems across multiple settings and systems. Increase your MI knowledge, advance your skills, and maintain your credentials through courses, certificate programs, and conferences offered online and on the campus of the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Substance Use Disorders Counselor Certificate Program – If you’re interested in taking your career to the next level while providing invaluable assistance to those struggling from addiction, consider the UW Flexible Option Substance Use Disorders Counselor certificate program. This program offers a more flexible alternative for fulfilling the specialized educational hours required for Wisconsin state substance abuse counselor certification through the Department of Safety and Professional Services. Check with your licensing board or professional organization for information about credentialing requirements in your state.
Behavioral health classes are presented by UW–Madison faculty and staff, regional and national content experts and experienced practitioners including clinicians specializing in mental health, geriatric mental health and aging, and substance use disorders.
Browse upcoming programs
Behavioral Health Programs
Contact Ashley Kuehl at firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-265-4267.
Featured Training Programs
The Grief Support Specialist Certificate is a unique, interactive experiential program designed to help you create or enhance a professional specialty that focuses on counseling people who have suffered a major loss.
Master new approaches to working with clients and maintain credentials in thought-provoking and interactive courses.
This interactive conference will share best practices, promote skills development and address diversity, equity, inclusion and social justice issues. Breakout sessions will be offered at various levels targeting pre-providers, providers who are new to MI and seasoned practitioners.
Designed for learners with intermediate knowledge of Motivational Interviewing (MI) who want to strengthen their skills, this 20-hour course includes lectures, discussions and small group practice sessions.
This 30-hour group-paced certificate is for participants wanting to learn or relearn the knowledge and skills necessary to reach proficiency in the use of Motivational interviewing (MI).
Fulfill specialized education hours required for Wisconsin state substance abuse counselor certification with this self-paced online program.
UW–Madison Continuing Studies is an approved continuing education provider for these respected professional organizations:
UW–Madison Continuing Studies is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Continuing Studies maintains responsibility for the programs and their content.
As an APA approved sponsor of continuing education, UW–Madison Continuing Studies is committed to the identification and resolution of potential conflicts of interest in the planning, promotion, delivery and evaluation of continuing education.
For complete approved provider information view CEU and approved hours information.