Maintain licensure or certification requirements and build skills and knowledge with professional development classes for psychologists, social workers, therapists, counselors, caseworkers, substance abuse professionals, health educators and others. Choose from online classes to fit your busy schedule and meet licensure deadlines.
Behavioral Health Specialities
Behavioral health programs offer mental health workshops, multi-day certificates and intensive training programs in several specialties, including:
- Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES®/MCHES®) – Develop the skills to lead in the field of health education and maintain certification. Classes and certificates fulfill requirements for the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc.
- Ethics & Boundaries – Fulfill your ethics and boundaries licensure renewal requirements with live, interactive online classes taught by UW faculty/staff and leading experts in the field. Classes meet the continuing education requirements for licensed Wisconsin psychologists, social workers, marriage and family therapists, professional counselors and substance abuse counselors. Check with your licensing board or professional organization for more licensure renewal requirements.
- Mediation & Conflict Resolution — Gain new ways of thinking and innovative approaches to mediating professional or personal conflict. These high-quality training programs for attorneys, human services professionals and others also satisfy multiple licensure and/or training requirements for psychologists, therapists, counselors and social workers.
- Mental Health – Master new approaches to working with clients and maintain credentials in thought-provoking and interactive courses. Build expertise through relevant content-based classes, which meet multiple licensure requirements for psychologists, social workers, therapists, counselors, health educators and others.
- Substance Use Disorders Counselor Certificate Program – If you’re interested in taking your career to the next level while providing invaluable assistance to those struggling from addiction, consider the UW Flexible Option Substance Use Disorders Counselor certificate program. This program offers a more flexible alternative for fulfilling the specialized educational hours required for Wisconsin state substance abuse counselor certification through the Department of Safety and Professional Services.
Behavioral health classes are presented by UW–Madison faculty and staff, regional and national content experts and experienced practitioners including clinicians specializing in mental health, geriatric mental health and aging, and substance use disorders.
Featured Training Programs
The Grief Support Specialist Certificate is a unique, interactive experiential program designed to help you create or enhance a professional specialty that focuses on counseling people who have suffered a major loss.
Designed for learners with intermediate knowledge of Motivational Interviewing (MI) who want to strengthen their skills, this 20-hour course includes lectures, discussions and small group practice sessions.
UW–Madison Continuing Studies is an approved continuing education provider for these respected professional organizations:
UW–Madison Continuing Studies is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Continuing Studies maintains responsibility for the programs and their content.
As an APA approved sponsor of continuing education, UW–Madison Continuing Studies is committed to the identification and resolution of potential conflicts of interest in the planning, promotion, delivery and evaluation of continuing education.
Some classes and certificates fulfill credentialing requirements for the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc (NCHEC). As a “designated provider” through NCHEC, Continuing Studies is committed to providing innovative programming to assist CHES®/MCHES® in attaining their continuing education contact hours (CECH). See individual programs for further CHES ceu details.
For complete approved provider information view CEU and approved hours information.