Explore different cultures and ways of thinking as you learn to communicate in a new language. Gain skills for conversation, travel or business in classes that fit your schedule — whether in-person or online.
Continuing Studies offers friendly, welcoming classes taught by leading language experts from UW–Madison and across the region. We offer French, German, Italian and Spanish classes year-round. Chinese, Korean and Portuguese classes are offered once or twice a year.
Choose from high-quality language and cultural instruction in:
- French — The French language is spoken on five continents and opens a world of travel and international business. We offer the region’s most comprehensive noncredit French language program, featuring four levels, pronunciation courses and occasional advanced conversation courses on literature and culture.
- German — Half of Wisconsin residents have German ancestry, so why not reconnect with the past? Our German program features three levels with occasional cultural classes.
- Italian — The Italian language gives you access to Italy’s rich history and one of the top European economies. Our program features three levels.
- Portuguese — Portuguese is the official language in nine countries and one of the top five languages for doing business globally. Our program includes two levels. (Not offered every semester.)
- Reading and Translation Courses — Dive into the nuts and bolts of how to read in your target language and translate accurately to English so that you can confidently conduct academic research or read for pleasure in French, German, Italian or Spanish.
- Spanish — Spanish is one of the most spoken languages in the world. We offer the region’s most comprehensive noncredit Spanish language program, featuring multiple levels of language instruction from Spanish 0 (a slow introduction for the true beginner) through advanced conversation courses, along with classes in pronunciation, writing, literature and culture. Custom classes are also available.
Featured Training Programs
In as little as six months, greatly improve your professional proficiency in Spanish and gain the cultural knowledge you need to conduct business in Spain and Latin America.
Learn French, German, Italian or Spanish through effective online study that provides a solid foundation in the language while helping you prepare for a translation exam.
Watch our language videos
From the blog
Since the most important part of learning a language is using that language to communicate with others, our online courses concentrate all the speaking practice into a carefully planned weekly virtual conversation class.
Each week, learners spend an hour participating in interactive activities to sharpen their French skills. After class, they have dinner together, practicing the language with university students and community members.