Grow, Succeed, Lead
Proven strategies for excellence in online teaching and learning
UW-Madison’s Distance Education Professional Development (DEPD) offers online certificates and programs, conference events, and resources to help you develop successful online courses, programs, and training.
Starts Tuesday October 6!
Fundamentals of Online Teaching Certificate (FoOT)
For those new to distance education and online teaching, this six-week certificate will help you make the transition from classroom-based instruction to teaching in the online environment. Enroll today and gain an understanding of the knowledge and skills you need to become an effective online instructor.
|Professional development certificates in online education: Whether you work in K-12, higher education, corporate, military, or nonprofit organizations, build your knowledge, skills, and expertise in developing and teaching online courses.
|Distance Teaching & Learning Conference: Join us August 9-11, 2016, for the 32nd annual conference. This event brings together an international community of world-renown experts, practitioners, thought leaders, and researches to share resources, research, and best practices in the field of distance education and online teaching. Details»|
|Customized professional development courses and certificates: We can work with you and your organization to tailor our online teaching certificates to your specific faculty development or training needs.
Stand out in an increasingly competitive environment
Our certificate programs and events draw on UW-Madison’s unparalleled experience and expertise in serving adult learners.
We build each program’s curriculum on the following cornerstones:
- Practical: Programs prepare you with foundational knowledge, understandings, and skills that are essential for any instructor or designer working in online environments.
- High quality: Content reflects only the most reliable, research-based knowledge in the field of online education.
- Applicable: Knowledge and skills learned from our programs can be immediately applied to create tangible products within your professional context.
- Peer-connected: Connections with other professionals in the field from across the globe broaden horizons and forge new relationships.
Over 100 years’ experience in educational innovation
UW-Madison has been at the forefront of educational technologies for more than 120 years.
- 1891 – UW-Madison launches the world’s first correspondence course.
- 1922 – The campus radio station WHA (America’s first) begins broadcasting “Wisconsin College of the Air” classes for adult learners.
- 1993 – UW-Madison’s DEPD launches the first-of-its-kind distance education certificate program to help teachers teach using the fledgling World Wide Web.
Today DEPD builds on that century of experience in educational innovation with professional certificates and events that build and enhance proficiency in all aspects of online education so that you can create effective and successful courses, programs, and trainings.