This course will give you systematic approaches to analyzing Italian text and the tools with which you can expand your understanding. Using texts from various disciplines in the social sciences and humanities, you learn the fundamentals of Italian grammar and how to use a dictionary and how to decipher the meaning of a text. You will learn how knowing certain grammar points, knowing how sentence structures work and knowing essential vocabulary words will give you the keys to understanding Italian.
Using our Open Educational Resource (OER), Italian for Reading Knowledge, the course will introduce scholars with no background in Italian to important grammatical concepts, reading strategies and vocabulary for scholarly reading. There are no synchronous class sessions and you will work through the weekly material at your own pace.
With the aim of preserving the essence and integrity of the original text, you will become proficient at understanding, critically analyzing and accurately translating from Italian to English.
No prior knowledge of Italian is required.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Read and understand, with the help of a dictionary, scholarly texts pertinent to their field of research.
- Identify fundamental Italian grammatical structures and syntax.
- Recognize essential Italian vocabulary words.
- Have increased confidence in translation abilities.
Is this course right for you?
If you answer "yes" to the following questions, you are a good candidate for our online course:
- I am a skilled reader who is at ease with written instructions and lessons.
- I am a self-directed learner, with the initiative to visit a course site regularly.
- I am comfortable participating in a course in writing.
- I can continue learning independently while waiting for feedback on assignments.
- I am organized and able to meet deadlines.
- I enjoy working on a computer.
- I have 5 to 12 hours weekly that I can devote to this online course.
If these statements do not accurately describe you, please consider taking an in-person class.