Newly revised! In 4 months, greatly improve your professional proficiency in Spanish and gain the cultural knowledge you need to conduct business with partners in Spain and Latin America. This practical course targets the specific skills you need to communicate professionally with clients and colleagues via email, telephone, and videoconferencing. This fully online certificate program for working professionals provides flexibility and personalized learning. Prerequisite: Intermediate level of Spanish or Spanish 4.
The Business Spanish Certificate gives you essential skills to conduct business in a Spanish-speaking environment. The program consists of 15 practical lessons available through the online platform CANVAS that you access at your convenience during the week. You will work closely with your instructor to put into practice what you are learning, including a mock interview. You will receive personalized feedback on relevant real-life assignments that are tailored to your professional needs. Throughout the program, you will interact with a cohort of other professionals through discussion boards and five live optional conversation sessions moderated by your instructor.
- 15 online units with audiovisual materials
- 2 one-on-one videoconferences with your instructor (including a mock interview)
- Personalized feedback on 12 short writing assignments that are relevant to your professional sector
- Personalized feedback on one recorded professional presentation
- Five optional live conversation sessions with other participants
- Interactive quizzes and flashcards
- Speaking professionally
- Composing professional emails
- Discussing your own background and skills
- Gaining vocabulary specific to your professional area
- Understanding business etiquette in Spanish-speaking countries
- Communicating via phone and videoconferencing
- Interviewing and hiring
- Talking about your company’s services and structure
- Creating professional documents
Optional live virtual conversation sessions:
These optional live conversation sessions (via Zoom) provide an opportunity for course participants to meet other professionals, practice speaking professionally in Spanish, and interact directly with the instructor. Since participants have different schedules and live in different time zones, participation is encouraged, but not required.
Tentative schedule for spring 2023 optional live conversation sessions:
- Jan. 30, 2023, 6:00 pm CT
- Feb. 22, 2023, 6:00 pm CT
- March 17, 2023, 6:00 pm CT
- April 11, 2023, 6:00 pm CT
- April 26, 2023, 6:00 pm CT
Why earn this certificate?
UW–Madison Continuing Studies' Online Business Spanish Certificate program is the only academic program of its kind in the Midwest.
Long renowned as one of the foremost academic institutions in the country, UW–Madison provides unparalleled service to post-traditional students. UW–Madison Continuing Studies develops and delivers more than 20 professional certificate programs in a wide variety of callings and careers — including Business Spanish. Through our unique combination of experience, innovation, and credibility, we can help you stand out in an increasingly competitive environment.
Who is this course is for?
- Business professionals who need hands-on skills for their current positions
- Professionals who wish to expand their career opportunities by acquiring the ability to work cross-culturally
- MBA students who are considering careers in international business
- Professionals working for NGOs who work with Spanish-speaking countries
- Heritage speakers of Spanish looking to professionalize the language skills they already have
- Anyone interested in gaining practical language and cultural skills
- Undergraduates looking to prepare themselves for a competitive global market
What level of Spanish do I need?
- The Certificate Program is adaptable for an intermediate or advanced speaker of Spanish. The higher your level of Spanish at the beginning of the program, the more you can take advantage of the practical skills it offers. If you are uncertain about your level of Spanish, take the Spanish 4 placement test and contact Julie.email@example.com for more guidance.
Earn Continuing Education Hours
By participating in this class you will earn:
|University of Wisconsin Continuing Education Units||10|
Upcoming dates (1)
Starts on Jan. 18, 2023. Complete within 4 months.
Register through: January 17, 2023
All times shown in central time.
- Cancel before the course opens: receive a full refund minus a $25 administrative fee.
- Partial refunds in extenuating circumstances may be available after the course starts. Please contact Julie Dahl at firstname.lastname@example.org.