Frequently Asked Questions about Independent Learning Courses.


Do I have to be a UW-Madison student?

No. No application for university student status is required.

Does it cost more if I don't live in Wisconsin?

Not at all.

Can I take these courses if I live overseas?

Yes. We always have a significant number of overseas students.

How much does Independent Learning cost?

The cost of each independent learning course is determined, on a per-credit basis, by the University of Wisconsin System. The cost for university courses is $327 per credit hour, plus a $75.00 administrative fee per course. Full-time students at UW campuses may be eligible for tuition remission. For more information, contact Student Services at 1-877-UW-LEARN (1-877-895-3276).

How does an Independent Learning course work?

You can now register online at the UW Independent Learning Web site! Books and course materials are available from Neebo Connect. You can submit your assignments to your instructor by mail or fax. Your instructor will return your graded assignments via mail, and can often be reached by e-mail, phone, or in person, if you live near Madison.

How much time do I have to complete a course?

One year, starting from when you choose to enroll. You can even apply for an extension if necessary.

When can I start a course?

You can start any course at any time. Our faculty and instructors are not tied to a traditional semester schedule, although you may certainly choose to complete an Independent Learning course during a semester as part of your university education.

Can I take more than one course at a time?

Yes. You can take multiple courses or overlap courses according to your own schedule.

Is there advising to help me decide which courses are best for my needs?

Yes. You can reach an Independent Learning student adviser at 877-895-3276.

Can I earn credit towards my college degree from UW Learning Innovations Independent Learning?

In many cases, yes. Before you commit to taking an Independent Learning course as part of your degree program, you should consult your academic adviser at your own institution. Share the Independent Learning course description and course requirements with your adviser, who be able to tell you whether the credits will apply toward your degree and in which area (humanities, social sciences, etc.).

Can I e-mail assignments?

E-mail is an option for many of our courses. To find out about e-mail submissions contact an independent learning advisor at 877-895-3276

Will I be interacting with other students?

You work directly with your instructor on a one-to-one basis.

Will I get the assistance I may need if I am disabled?

UW Independent Learning is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for students with qualified disabilities. This includes, but is not limited to, making course materials available in alternative formats (such as large print or audiocassettes) and adapting written assignment and exam procedures. To discuss accommodations, contact an Independent Learning adviser at 877-895-3276. Documentation of your disability will be required in order to provide an accommodation. Requests will be kept confidential.

How long has Independent Learning been operating?

Although it has changed names a few times, University of Wisconsin Independent Learning has been engaged in distance education for over 100 years.