WRAP/WRAA State Exhibition and Conference
2018 ANNUAL ART EXHIBITION AND STATE DAY CONFERENCE
Wisconsin Regional Art Program (WRAP) and Wisconsin Regional Artist Association (WRAA) jointly invite you to the State Day Conference which celebrates you, the artist, and a year of regional exhibitions and workshops. The conference is a chance to enjoy the festivities in camaraderie with other Wisconsin artists. You can also:
- View pieces by artists from across the state.
- Learn from keynote speaker Leslee Nelson, Professor Emerita and artist.
- Enjoy an artist’s reception and Tiny Treasures Awards.
- Celebrate the award winners at the Award Ceremony.
DATES TO REMEMBER
Deadline to Confirm Conference Attendance Sep 7, 2018
State Day Conference Sep 21-22, 2018
PYLE CENTER: 702 Langdon St, Madison, WI 53706
Exhibition Entry Deadline Aug 1, 2018
2018 Annual Art Exhibition Aug 17-Sep 22, 2018
WRAP State Award Recipients
Did you receive a State Award at a regional WRAP between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018?
There is no charge for State Award winners to be in the Annual Art Exhibition. You do not need to be a member of WRAA to be in the Annual Art Exhibition. You do need to be a WRAA member to receive a monetary award at the conference. If you received more than one State Award, choose one piece.
- Alternate entry methods: printable PDF is available here, or contact Alli Timmins at email@example.com or 608-263-6670 to submit information via phone. You can also email Liese Pfeifer (WRAP Director) at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time to enter over the phone.
- Note: the entry email confirmation includes an autofilled ID label or print a new one here.
Drop off Art: Print, complete, and attach the artwork identification labels to the back or base of your work.
Preparing your Artwork
You must apply online to show your work in the Annual Art Exhibition: available June 5 to midnight August 1 . To prepare to complete the application, please do the following:
Choose your piece: If you won multiple State Awards, choose one piece to exhibit.
Type carefully: Please use uppercase and lowercase letters when filling out the online form.
Write your artist statement: Write, proofread, and revise your 50-word statement before adding it to your application. The statement you submit with your application will appear on the label accompanying your art.
Agree to waivers and releases in the online form: This includes a release granting permission for WRAP to photograph your work and a waiver for transporting your work.
Label your art and pack it for transport: Complete the ID label for your piece, which will autofill from your online application but also included in this mailing. Be sure to sign and date it.
Getting your artwork to the show
There are several options available to you below. Remember, your Artwork ID Label must be securely attached to your piece.
Drop off at the Pyle Center Fri, Aug 3, 11am-3pm or Sat, Aug 4, 11am-3pm. You are responsible for unpacking your art and taking packaging with you. Check in work in Rm 112.
Northern WI Artists: Drop off your art in Wausau at following places and times:
Saturday, July 28 from 12-4pm and Sunday, July 29 from 12-3pm.
Center for the Visual Arts
427 N. 4th St.
Wausau, WI 54403
Note: Your artwork must be packed and ready for transport. Each piece must have a signed release waiver attached to the outside of the packaging. That waiver is available at wraawrap.com (click “Activities”), or at the CVA on drop off days.
If you send WRAP your art using the United States Postal Service, FedEx, or UPS, it must arrive by July 31. Ship it to:
Pyle Center, Attn. WRAP
702 Langdon St, Rm 111
Madison, WI 53706
- If you win a WRAA award at the Annual Art Exhibition, you will be notified by approximately August 28, 2018.
- An online gallery of the Annual Art Exhibition will be posted on WRAP’s website by Aug 28, 2018.
- All artists in the exhibition will be included in the WRAA full color catalog. All current WRAA members receive one copy.
Picking up your artwork
You must pick up your art at the Pyle Center by 3:30 pm on September 22. You are responsible for your own packaging material.
If you are unable to pick up your piece personally, make sure your pickup person is ready and willing to pick up your artwork.
Register for the State Day Conference by September 7th. Watch for a separate mailing in late June.
The 2018 Annual Art Exhibition is a collection of award-winning artwork from WRAP’s regional exhibitions across the state. These winning artists are recognized in the exhibition and publicly honored at the State Day Conference.
Submission dates for State Award winners June 5, 2018 to August 1, 2018 at midnight.
Some artists will not know they are in this exhibit until June 30.
Online entry submissions open June 5, 2018. Although online entry is strongly preferred, you may call Alli Timmons at 608-263-6670 to submit information via phone or to receive paper entry.
Note: All artists in the exhibition will be included in the WRAA full color catalog. All current WRAA members receive one copy.
Artist notification for WRAA awards will occur on August 28, 2018.
An online gallery of the Annual Art Exhibition will be posted on WRAP’s website on Aug 28, 2018.
JUDGE AND SPEAKER: LESLEE NELSON
Professor Emerita Leslee Nelson served as director of the Wisconsin Regional Art Program from 1982-2012. She taught in the Art Department at UW–Madison 1985-2012. Her work has been exhibited in New York, Paris, India, and Japan as well as throughout Wisconsin and the United States. She published a collection of her Memory Cloths in 2008. Her husband, Professor Craig Werner is a cultural historian at UW–Madison. She has two adult daughters: Kaylee, who is an artist in Madison, and Riah, who is a teacher in Abidjan, Cote D’Ivoire. She is not yet a grandmother.
Her talk on September 22, Making Memory Cloths, will illustrate her journey as an artist. Literally—journeys to China, Germany, and Indonesia, along with her life story are embroidered on vintage family linens. Inspired by Voices of Women in South Africa, she has been making Memory Cloths since 2005. They asked her to share the process in America, which she has done ever since.
THANK YOU TO OUR 2018 STATE DAY CONFERENCE SPONSORS
- Wisconsin Regional Artist Association: WRAA sponsors art transport to Madison, puts out the full-color exhibition catalog, provides funding for Award Ceremony, organizes Evening with the Arts, Tiny Treasures, and STAMP, and funding for Award Ceremony.
- UW–Madison Continuing Studies: Sponsors conference, designs invitations, coordinates printings, mailings, and exhibitions, and provides administrative help.
- Anonymous Fund: The Anonymous Fund was established to benefit UW–Madison programs in the arts and humanities. Funded by an anonymous donor, the bequest is charged to “strengthen and enlarge the cultural and artistic undertakings of the University.”