NEW: Advanced Dementia Care Specialist Certificate
(Formerly the Mental Health and the Older Adult Certificate)
Get the knowledge and practice skills you need to provide competent and compassionate advanced dementia care.
Why advanced dementia care professional development?
Evidence-based research on quality dementia care indicates that professionals caring for persons living in mid-late stage dementia require knowledge and skills that address the complexity of medical and psychosocial care.
The Advanced Dementia Care Specialist Certificate provides a deeper examination of treatment and management options designed to improve patient and client safety as well as medical and psychosocial outcomes that reinforce personhood for persons with mid-to-late stages of dementia. Leading clinical and research experts from UW–Madison and the region will engage participants in a comprehensive learning experience designed to build their expertise in quality advanced dementia care.
- Attend the two-day Summer Institute on Advanced Dementia, offered biannually on the last Thursday and Friday in July (last offered July 2018). 13 Continuing Education Hours or 1.3 CEUs
- Take any eight day-long classes of your choice (5 Continuing Education Hours per class, $160/class with early-bird registration). Note: The fall and spring semester classes will be different to provide plenty of options for students to choose from.
- When you have completed attending classes, write a final paper (3-5 pages) on one of the eight classes you have taken. Details will be specified.
- Complete your work within two years of the registration date of the first class you attend.
The total number of CE hours for the Advanced Dementia Care Specialist Certificate is 53 or 5.3 CEUs. This includes the Summer Institute and the eight classes.
Upon completion you will receive
- A framed Advanced Dementia Care Specialist Certificate of Completion from UW–Madison Division of Continuing Studies: Professional Development in Geriatric Mental Health
- A letter from Suzanna Waters Castillo, PhD, (Certificate Director, Division of Continuing Studies at UW-Madison), that identifies the certificate requirements and verifies the courses taken and number of CEUs received.
For more information on the Advanced Dementia Care Specialist Certificate, contact Certificate Director Suzanna Waters Castillo, PhD, MSSW at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To register for the certificate, email Certificate Director Suzanna Waters Castillo at email@example.com.
Learn more about individual classes by visiting these class pages.