Formal Exchange Programs at UW-Madison

If you are coming to UW-Madison on a formal exchange program, you should work directly with your home school’s exchange/study abroad office for admission and enrollment procedures. Your home university’s exchange office is coordinating with one of the four following exchange offices on our campus on the details of your admission and visa paperwork:

All formal exchange students except those pursuing law studies will be admitted by our office as “UNIS” nondegree Special student exchange students, and Adult Career and Special Student Services will serve as your Dean’s Office. Apply for admission through the University of Wisconsin System application as a nondegree UNIS exchange student.

Orientation for Exchange Students

Exchange students meet with other visiting international students at the fall and spring Exchange and Visiting International Student Orientation. You will be sent information about the pre-arrival online orientation modules as well as the in-person orientation session following your admission.