Continuing Studies Art Gallery: Call for artists
Do you create 2-dimensional art?
Are you a painter, photographer, collage artist, or other 2-D artist?
How to apply
Submit your application and images through the visit application site (external link) online application form
Who can apply?
Anyone who has a connection to the UW-Madison Continuing Studies: employees, instructors, students, and family or friends of employees may apply. The Art Committee will jury and select submitted artworks and set the display schedule.
Art is displayed in the hallway for 2-month periods: April-May, June-July, August-September, October-November, December-January, and February-March. Art in the Wisconsin Idea Room is displayed for 4 months at a time, by invitation only.
All proposals must include:
- Contact information.
- Connection to UW-Madison Continuing Studies: employee, instructor, student, family or friend of employee, or other.
- Display period choice availability; you must be available to hang and take down your art M-F, between 8am-4:30pm.
- Artist statement.
- Art images (at least 3, 10 max).
There is a maximum of 10 artworks for each exhibit. Submitted image resolution should be 72 dpi, image area no more than 450 pixels or 6” on the longest side, file size maximum 500K, and images saved as .jpg file.
- Submit ONE digital image per artwork.
- The digital images you submit must be of the actual artworks you propose to display.
- Images must be in proper orientation for viewing on a computer (upright on monitor).
Images must be .JPGs. Use the following title format for each image: Last name, First initial, Name of piece, Medium, Dimensions (vertical by horizontal). [Example: “Smith_F_Basket-of-Fruit_Photography_8inx20in.jpg”].
There are 3 wall display sections—each 8′ W and 5′ H — in the public corridors, and a conference room display, all on the 7th floor of the building.
Wall mounting system
We use the “Walker Display” Hanging System for Wall Art.
- No piece should weigh more than 20 lbs.
- All artwork must be framed.
- A hanging wire is required on all framed artwork.
- Maximum wall space HEIGHT for hanging is approximately 60″.
- Lighting in the corridor is indirect (no sunlight). The conference room has northern exposure.
There is NO insurance included. You must sign a release before you hang your show. You may provide your own insurance, however this is optional.
Please print the release form and bring it with you when you bring your artwork.
Any sales will be made directly between the artist and the buyer after the show. No commission will be charged.
Review and selection
The Art Committee will review all submissions.
The Art Committee reserves the right to refuse any works submitted.
The Art Committee will electronically notify each applicant if their proposal was accepted (or not) within 6 weeks after deadline.
If you have any questions, email CSArtShow@dcs.wisc.edu.