Financial Requirements for Visiting International Students

Proof of Financial Resources

As part of your UW application, you will need to show proof of adequate funds to support your school and living expenses for the length of your stay in order to receive your student visa. This support can be documented through a combination of personal, family or scholarship funds, as outlined by US government regulations.

Your financial support letter should show the name of the bank, the name of the account holder, and amounts on deposit. Internet bank statements showing these items are acceptable. Please get second official copies of these support letter(s) as you'll need to show them to the US embassy later when you apply for your F-1 or J-1 visa stamp.

The total minimum amount that is required on a bank/scholarship letter is calculated based on two items:

  1. Tuition and Student fees based on the minimum required credit enrollment for your level) (undergraduate, graduate, or dissertator). If you choose to take additional credits, your tuition fee may increase. See the Registrar’s website for more information. All VISP students pay the “Special” student rate for non-residents.
  2. Estimated monthly living expenses ($1,737 x number of months you will be in the U.S.). This amount includes SHIP Student Health Insurance; food and housing with utilities; books and supplies; and incidentals.

The charts below calculate the minimum amounts for each student level by term. Please refer to them when obtaining your Financial Support Letter.


Academic Year 2013-14 Total Minimum Amounts Required on Bank/Scholarship Letters for Admission
2013-2014 Undergraduate Level Graduate Level Dissertator Level
Fall or Spring Term (Min 12 credits) (Min 8 credits) (Min 3 credits)
Tuition $13,327 $8,903 $3,373
Living Expenses (4 months) $6,948 $6,948 $6,948
Total amount: $20,275 $15,851 $10,321
Fall and Spring Terms (Min 12 credits/term) (Min 8 credits/term) (Min 3 credits/term)
Tuition $26,654 $17,806 $6,746
Living Expenses (9 months) $15,633 $15,633 $15,633
Total amount: $42,287 $33,439 $22,379

Summer 2014 Total Minimum Amounts Required on Bank/Scholarship Letters for Admission
Summer 2014 only Undergraduate Level Graduate Level Dissertator Level

Summer Session Only

(Min 6 credits)

(Min 4 credits)

(Min 3 credits)

Tuition $6,691 $4,479 $3,373
Living Expenses
(2 months)
$3,474 $3,474 $3,474
Total amount: $10,165 $7,953 $6,847


For more information about tuition and fees, please visit and select “Special” as the student rate. International students pay at the non-WI resident rates. Do not select the “graduate” or “dissertator” career to determine your fees; all VISP students will pay the “Special” student rate.

You may extend your visa for a longer academic stay at UW-Madison after arrival in the U.S. as long as you do well in classes (C average or better) and can show additional financial support for the next term.

Required Full-Time Enrollment

You will be required to enroll at full-time status as part of the Visiting International Student Program. You can read more about full-enrollment for your level and term by visiting:

Bringing Dependents with you to Madison

If you are bringing any dependents with you to Madison (spouse or children) you will need to show additional amounts of funding to cover their expected living expenses. They will also need to receive visa paperwork from UW-Madison in order to enter the U.S.

Health Insurance Requirement

All VISP students will be required to enroll in SHIP health insurance for the duration of their enrollment at UW-Madison. This coverage is already factored into the estimated living expenses included in the table above. Read about the health insurance requirement and SHIP.

Funding Options

UW-Madison unfortunately cannot offer any scholarship support for our visiting international students. International students are not eligible for U.S. financial aid.

You may be able to secure outside scholarship support by looking at these resources and applying for scholarships.


International students on F and J visas may work on campus but typical student jobs pay around $10 per hour and you can only work up to 20 hours per week. It is your responsibility to be in compliance with all U.S. immigration requirements and employment restrictions based on your visa status.