How to Apply as a Visiting International Student
When to Apply
Please apply at least three months before the start of the semester you wish to study for unless you are already in the U.S. We do not have a fixed deadline for application but completion of the entire admission and visa process may require many months depending on your country of origin.
Questions? Please contact the Visiting International Student Program Coordinator, Anna Seidel-Quast (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Step 1: Complete the free online application.
Step 2: Send by fax (608-265-2901), email attachment (email@example.com) or mail (Adult Career and Special Student Services, 21 North Park St. Suite 7101, Madison, Wisconsin 53716) the following items:
- Official college transcripts (only required if applying as an undergraduate level student). English translation is not required unless later requested.
- Copy of TOEFL/MELAB/IELTS scores (if required based on your English background). You do not need to have computerized score results sent to UW.
- Copy of current passport information page only showing your name, date of birth and citizenship.
- Transfer-in Form (if you are transferring your current F-1 or J-1 visa status from another U.S. college or program without leaving the U.S.)
- Financial support letters (bank statements and/or scholarship letters) showing the minimum required based on your level. To determine the minimum required amount you must show on these letters, please refer to this link.
After You Submit Your Application
- Within 1-2 business days of application, you will receive an “application received” email from Adult Career and Special Student Services which will provide you with your 10-digit campus ID number.
- With this ID you may activate your online My UW account. In the "Student Center" you make any needed changes to your address and contact information.
- Your application materials (items 1-5 in Step 2) will then be reviewed and advisors will contact you by email if any further information or documentation is required.
- If your application is complete you will next be notified by email that you have been admitted to the program.
- ACSSS will mail you an official admission letter and your I-20 or DS-2019 sent by regular or express mail.
Enrollment in Classes
Depending on when you apply and are admitted, you will either be able to enroll for classes immediately online via your My UW Student Center or you will begin to prepare for future enrollment by placing classes in your "Student Center Wish List/Shopping Cart."
See this helpful information about how to enroll for classes.