Summer Admission for Nondegree Students
Prior to enrolling in a credit course at UW-Madison, you must apply and be admitted as a student. The process varies depending on your student classification and status. For nondegree students, the application for admission is free.
Nondegree students at UW-Madison fall into three groups:
NOTE: If you are currently a degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student at UW-Madison, enroll as you would for a regular semester. See summer enrollment deadlines.
If you are not currently in a UW-Madison degree program and want to take UW-Madison credit courses for credit, this is the option for you. University Specials who meet all prerequisites may enroll for credit classes as space permits. University Special students taking courses during the summer term include:
- Students participating in special programs available only in summer, such as Advanced Placement Institute, language immersion programs, and formal study abroad
- Visitors from another college or university who plan to return to their home institution in the fall
- Individuals taking courses for professional development or personal enrichment
- Students completing prerequisites or other preparation for graduate or professional school
- Qualified high school juniors or seniors
- Students in a UW-Madison Capstone Certificate program
Apply or learn more about University Special student status and specific Special student classifications. Once you have been admitted, you may enroll beginning in early April.
If you are not currently in a UW-Madison degree program and want to attend a credit class in summer without earning credits, then this classification may be for you. Guest students audit (sit in on) regular UW-Madison courses at a reduced fee.
Apply or learn more about Guest auditor status. Once you have been admitted as a Guest auditor you may enroll beginning in May.
If you are a Wisconsin residents age 60 or older you may audit lecture courses free if:
- You are 60 years old by the first day of class
- You are a Wisconsin resident as defined by Wisconsin Statute 36.27(2)(e)
- Space is available in the class
- The instructor approves
Apply or learn more about Senior Guest auditor status. Once you have been admitted as a Senior Guest auditor you may enroll beginning in May.
Summer courses and programs
Once you have been admitted to UW-Madison, you may enroll in credit courses. Check the Schedule of Classes on the Registrar's Web page for available offerings.
To see special noncredit summer programs offered through Continuing Studies go to Special Programs.