Senior Learning at UW-Madison
Connecting senior adults to campus for the joy of learning!
The Senior Learning Program in UW-Madison Continuing Studies coordinates programs and establishes partnerships that meet the learning and enrichment needs of age 50+ adults in the greater Madison area and beyond.
“I wanted to reconnect with my university and continue my studies now that I am retired. I also thought it might offer me the opportunity to meet new, interesting friends.”
Keeping your brain active improves quality of life and enhances longevity.
Continuing Studies offers senior learners many opportunities to engage your mind, including:
- Noncredit classes where you can join others learning music, history, writing and more.
- Senior Guest Auditing of UW Courses. Wisconsin residents (as defined by state statute) age 60+ can audit non-participatory lecture courses at UW-Madison for free with the instructor’s approval. (Note: this does not include online classes or labs.) Wisconsin residents under 60 may audit credit courses for a per-credit fee. Admission to the university, instructor approval and enrollment are required.
- PLATO (Participatory Learning And Teaching Organization) is a senior learning organization that offers opportunities for members to actively engage their minds and connect with each other through participatory learning experiences.
- Eloquence and Eminence is an award-winning lecture series by retired UW faculty known for their teaching excellence and scholarship.
- Events including field trips, bus trips and lectures.
Other opportunities include
Wednesday Nite at the Lab
Explore the unknown every Wednesday night. Discover the latest from UW-Madison researchers as they describe their investigations and inventions. For more information go to the Wednesday Nite at the Lab webpage.
Global Hot Spots lectures
UW faculty provide a better understanding of the events shaping our society. These thought-provoking lectures focus on everything from politics, global health and economics to human rights and the environment.
For more information go to the UW-Alumni: Global Hot Spots webpage.
Senior Learning Programs / PLATO
UW-Madison Continuing Studies
21 N. Park St, 7th Floor
Madison, WI 53715
Phone: 608-262-5823 • Fax: 608-265-4555