Become a certified, professional life coach
Do you want to help people change their lives? Do you enjoy guiding, inspiring, and empowering others? Are you seeking a way to independently achieve your goals?
If you answered “yes” to those questions, the University of Wisconsin-Madison Professional Life Coaching Certificate (PLCC) is designed for you. Through a 9-month series of face-to-face classes and teleconferences, you’ll become an expert at helping others see new perspectives, get unstuck, and find the courage to take bold action for change—all while enhancing your own self-awareness and achieving professional credentialing and certification as a life coach.
When: Sept 2013-May 2014
Where: Blended format. 5 face-to-face sessions in Madison, WI and 11 teleconferences from your location
Team leaders: Darcy Luoma, Aphra Mednick (bios)
Who should attend: People who want to help themselves and others achieve their goals and find their balance
Register online» or call 608-262-2451.
Contact: Aphra Mednick, 608-265-8041
Why the UW-Madison PLCC?
PLCC is the only academic program of its kind in the Midwest.
Long renowned as one of the foremost academic institutions in the country, UW-Madison provides unparalleled service to post-traditional students. The university’s Division of Continuing Studies develops and delivers more than 20 professional certificate programs in a wide variety of callings and careers—now including professional life coaching. Through our unique combination of experience, innovation, and credibility, we can help you stand out in an increasingly competitive environment.
Professional life coaching is an art and a science. This rich training program combines many disciplines: emotional intelligence, positive psychology, use of self, evidence-based coaching, neuroscience of coaching, systems theory, relationship intelligence, organization development, and appreciative inquiry. Train with professional coaches and work with your own clients as you learn.
The PLCC is for you if you are:
- Seeking to become a professional life coach
- A practicing coach who wants to take your skills and certification to a higher level
- An accomplished professional preparing for a second career that requires advanced skills and experience
- A manager, internal trainer, or organizational development professional seeking to enhance your inherent coaching skills
- A human resources and performance management professional who wants to grow your portfolio of skills
- Looking to guide, inspire, and empower others to help them reach their potential and get real results!
How the program works
Begin by developing self-presence as you explore and deepen your awareness, creating a strong foundation for coaching. Next comes skill development, where you gain the knowledge, abilities, and techniques to coach with confidence. From here you practice co-creating a dynamic coaching relationship with your clients so they can find true fulfillment in their lives.
While a student in PLCC, you:
- Receive regular supervision from an International Coach Federation (ICF)-accredited coach provided by PLCC
- Work with your own clients for at least 6 months under the supervision of accredited coach
- Hire and work with your own accredited life coach, so you can experience the powerful impact of coaching through the personal lens of being a client
- Build relationships and work with peers in a learning community cohort model
- Learn in a blended learning format through face to face classes on the UW-Madison campus and teleconferences available to you in the convenience of your own home
Life coaching addresses the whole person: mind, emotions, body, and spirit. With this in mind, to succeed in the PLCC you must be open to feedback and be willing to engage in reflection and self-examination.