Mastering Nursing Home Administration
Audio correspondence course giving an overview of the field of long-term care administration
Format: Self-study, self-paced. Up to one year to complete. Newly revised and available on CD.
Students: Long-term care professionals, especially those wanting to take the NHA licensing exam.
Instructor: Suzanna Waters Castillo, MSSW, PhD
CEUs: 3.6 (36 hours). Upon completion, UW submits student's name to WI Dept of Safety and Professional Services as eligible to take NHA licensing exam.
Questions? Email Suzanna Waters Castillo or call 608-263-3174.
What students get from the course:
- Fulfills State of Wisconsin requirements necessary to sit for the NHA licensing exam
- Provides an overview of the long-term care field including the basics of management and the needs of elderly residents
- Provides growth and personal development for administrators
- Prepares you for entry into the nursing home/long-term care administration field
Instructor Suzanna Waters Castillo, MSSW, PhD, is a UW-Madison Continuing Studies faculty associate. She has extensive experience in long-term care and aging, including health policy development, program management and direct service. She also teaches continuing education programs in aging and long-term care, including the Mental Health and the Older Adult Certificate program.
Register online» Or call to register: 608-262-2451, toll free 800-725-9692.
How the course works
The program consists of 12 hour-long lectures (CD), each accompanied by corresponding outlines, assignments and related reading materials. Students mail assignments to instructor for review; instructor mails back with her comments.
Students are expected to complete the course within one year of their date of registration. A six-month extension may be granted at the instructor's discretion. If the course is not completed within that time, the student will need to reregister and pay the full program fee.
When all 12 sets of assignments are successfully completed, students will receive a letter and a certificate of completion from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Continuing Studies will also send an official letter to the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services, Nursing Home Examining Board which qualifies the student to take the licensing exam. Students from states other than Wisconsin should check with their state's licensing board to find out if this course will also meet their requirements.
Policies and procedures
The University of Wisconsin–Madison Division of Continuing Studies is responsible for administering the NHA course. It is not responsible for the state licensure of Nursing Home Administrators. All questions regarding the state examination should be directed to the Department of Safety and Professional Services. Students of the course may visit the following links to find information regarding the state of Wisconsin licensure and examination procedures.
Hint: Nursing Home Administrator is considered a "Business Profession" by the state.
Licensure contact: Judy.Mender@wisconsin.gov
Return Policy for Participants Who HAVE NOT Begun Course Work
Students who wish to return the course materials and who are no longer interested in pursuing completion of the course may return materials within three months of the date the materials were mailed. If course materials are returned complete and like new, participants may receive a refund less $45.00 for a total refund of $450.00.
Return Policy for Participants Who HAVE Begun Course Work
Students who have begun the course (sent in work and received it back with comments) are eligible for a $225 refund if materials are returned complete and in like-new condition within six months. This refund reflects half of the course fee after the nonrefundable administrative fee of $5 is deducted.
*No refunds will be given six months after the date of registration.
*There will be a $20 charge to replace disks containing the course lectures.
- Introduction to long-term care
- Aging process and gerontology
- Long-term care: chronic diseases
- Physical rehabilitation
- Ethical issues
- Unique nature of health administration
- Nursing and physician services
- Dietary and activity services
- Pharmaceutical services
- Social work services
- The evolving management role
- Planning for change
- Organizing and delegating
- Managing human resources
- Basics of finance and accounting
- Law and personnel management
- Measurement and control
- Employee relations
Method: 12 hour-long lectures on CD plus written materials.
Fees: The cost of the complete course is $495 for the written materials with CDs.
Approved hours: Upon completion, students will receive 36 continuing education hours (3.6 CEUs) from UW-Madison, and we will submit your name to the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services as being eligible to take the Administrator's Licensing Exam.
- Register online» The end date you will see on the online registration form does not apply. Students are expected to complete the course within one year of their date of registration. A six-month extension may be granted at the instructors discretion. If the course is not completed within that time, the student will need to reregister and pay the full program fee.
- Call 608-262-2451 or toll free 800-725-9692.
Contact: Email Suzanna Waters Castillo or call 608-263-3174.