Write-by-the-Lake Writer’s Workshop and Retreat
Join writers from around the country (and world) in a professional retreat with a creative atmosphere
Make your writing more than just a dream. Meet with fellow writers who have your same concerns, goals, and sense of dedication. This week is yours to get away, create, explore, and polish. Sections for all levels of expertise in fiction, youth, creative nonfiction, and poetry for all levels; master classes in fiction. Because this retreat is sponsored jointly by UW-Madison Continuing Studies and the UW-Madison Department of English, attendees have the option of earning 1-3 graduate credits in English.
When: Jun 17-21, 9:30am-12:30pm each day
Where: Pyle Center, UW-Madison (map)
Cost: $345; $395 after May 20. University credit extra
Continuing Education: 3.0 CEUs (30 hours)
Questions? Email Christine DeSmet or call 608-262-3447
Sponsored by UW-Madison Continuing Studies and UW-Madison Department of English
Study one section for the week. Maximum of 15 writers per track. See Sessions & Speakers page for complete info, including links to session syllabi.
- Thrill Me: Creating the Momentum That Publishers Crave, Tim Storm
- Five Days to Your First Novel, Christopher Mohar
- The Bestselling Edge: Tactics and Techniques for Writing a WOW! Novel, Kathy Steffen
- Fiction in a Flash: Small Stories with Big Impact, Angela Rydell
Writing YA and For Children
- Creating New Heroes and Heroines in YA and Middle-Grade Literature, Bridget Birdsall
- Children’s Picture Books: Write and Submit Your Stories, JoAnn Early Macken
- Writing Compelling Creative Nonfiction Books, Laurie Scheer
- Anthologies and the Nonfiction Writer/How to Get Essays (including short memoir material) Published This Year, Amy Lou Jenkins
Master Classes in Fiction
Additional cost and enrollment criteria. Details in syllabi. Must apply to instructor before enrolling.
- Deep Novel Revision: Polish to Publish, Laurel Yourke. 10 students, 20 pages. $450.
- Genre Novelists: Complete and Ready to Compete? Lori Devoti. Six students, completed manuscripts up to 90,000 words. $750.
- Finish, Polish, Publish—Mainstream/Literary/Genre Novels, Christine DeSmet. Six students, completed or nearly-completed manuscripts up to 90,000 words. $750.
- Mastering Poetic Forms, Marilyn Taylor