Joan MillsJoan Mills co-authored "Movement Explorations Dance" and has taught the course since its inception. Her experience teaching dance includes 20 years as dance specialist at Madison Memorial High School and Lecturer at UW-Whitewater. Read more
Who should take this course
Anyone wishing to incorporate dance into their teaching, including school teachers, home schoolers, private instructors and studios.
Movement explorations dance: teaching creative dance to childrenExploring a creative dance curriculum
This noncredit online dance curriculum course demonstrates to teachers how dance can be used in a classroom, how to stimulate interest in dance, how to introduce dance when it is not available, how to bring dance materials to teachers for practical use, and how to provide varied dance experiences for students and teachers.
- Personal Instruction - Enjoy one-on-one communication with Joan Mills and Maureen Janson via your assignments, which they return with comments via e-mail.
- Online Multimedia Instruction - The complete course materials and activities have been carefully prepared by a team of four dance instructors as a beautiful Web site and combined with a textbook to allow teachers anywhere in the world to focus on educational dance.
- Learn Practical, Adaptive Skills - Educational dance is based on natural body movement and draws upon familiar movement and experiences. Exploration is encouraged, multiple solutions are supported, and spontaneous responses are possible when using conceptual problem solving teaching techniques.
Note: Access to a classroom or group of students is required for completion of this course.Course units
- Me and what's around me
- Basic ways of traveling and resting
- Ways my body can move
- In time with myself and others
Joan Mills co-authored "Movement Explorations Dance" and has taught the course since its inception. Her experience teaching dance includes 20 years as dance specialist at Madison Memorial High School and Lecturer at UW-Whitewater teaching Ballet I and II. As a Lecturer at Edgewood College she taught Methods of Teaching Fine Arts.
Joan has a MS in Educational Psychology from UW-Madison and a BS from West Virginia University. She served in many capacities for the Wisconsin Dance Council including Secretary and member and chair of the Education Committee.
In 2004 she received the Margaret H'Doubler Award by the Wisconsin Dance Council.
She has performed guest appearances with Kanopy Dance Company and Call for Peace Drum and Dance Company and choreographed and performed with Random Transformation Dance Company.
Registration costs $139. Work at your own pace and take up to a year to finish. Earn 6 continuing education units (CEUs) by completing this course. This course is not available for university credit. Register at any time.
Your contact for more information about Movement Explorations Dance is Maureen Janson, 608-263-8927 or email@example.com.
For more information about online learning contact Lori O'Neill at 608-263-6322 or toll-free 877-336-7836 or email LSAonline@dcs.wisc.edu.
Online: Register now online with our secure server.
Mail: Print and mail our registration form.
Telephone: Call 608-262-2451 or toll-free 800-725-9692 to register. Our phone is answered M-F, 7:00 am-4:30 pm Central Time. At other times please leave a message, and we will return your call.