Educational Videotapes and DVDs
CLINICS ON CASSETTES: Twenty-three great video resources for use in the
music classroom/ensemble, studio, or for self-instruction. Most titles available in VHS & DVD format unless noted.
For more information or to place an order, contact
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Continuing Education in Music
21 N Park St. 7th Floor Madison, WI 53715
The order form is now available as a pdf document (48k). Simply download, print, complete and mail as indicated on the order form. Contact us about student, educator, and conference discounts.
To request a videotape/DVD catalog e-mail email@example.com.
Tell a friend about these music education videotapes and DVDs.
UW-Madison has developed the video series Clinics on Cassettes as a resource to supplement private lessons and for use in music classrooms. Each unique video offers a wealth of information presented by internationally renowned pedagogues. Clinics on Cassettes includes offerings in strings, winds, brass, percussion, piano, voice, and general music education.
Although the developers and pedagogues understand that video instruction in no way supplants the importance of an on-site teacher, these clinics can be a great supplemental resource for the teacher and/or student.
- The Inner Game of Music, with Barry Green (2-hour video--Cost: $89.50): Learn techniques to help increase your concentration and ability to cope with the mental obstacles that inhibit you from being at your best in learning, teaching, and performing.
- The Master Teacher Profile, with Robert Culver (2-tapes; 3-hour, 30 minute video with manual--Cost: $159.50): Improve your classroom delivery! Video and manual lay out the active elements of music classroom delivery: posture, voice, facial, proximity, profiling, time allocation, strategy and device employment, and teacher designed role model. It presents a balance of laboratory techniques, practical information, and demonstrations.
- The Generative Approach to Music Learning, with Eunice Boardman and Mary Pautz (2-hour video with manual--Cost: $89.50) This video and accompanying manual will give exposure to a general concept which can be applied to any given methodology presently being used in the elementary music classroom. Available in VHS only.
- Karr Tunes, with Gary Karr (35-minute video--Cost: $29.50): This video is intended for an elementary school-aged audience. Presented through great musical performances and humor, with special insight into the double bass, it is both educational and appealing to young audiences.
- Sinta on Sax, with Donald Sinta (2-hour video--Cost: $89.50): With some segments aimed at advanced students, most of the video is very basic, straight forward "Sintaisms" for young saxophonists. It includes breathing, embouchure, tonguing, intonation, vibrato, dynamics, technique, articulation and range.
- The Oboe - "Starting Right," with Marc Fink (1-hour video--Cost: $49.50): From assembling the instrument to the making of music, this video covers the embouchure, use of air, playing position, intonation, the half hole, articulation, and reeds.
- Basics of Bassoon, with Richard Lottridge (1-hour video--Cost: $49.50): This video takes the instrument from the case and goes to the performance covering every detailed aspect including assembling the instrument, posture, and hand position, embouchure, tonguing, use of air, the half hole, flicking, reeds, intonation, vibrato, reeds and interpretation, with a valuable listing of resources for the young bassoonist provided.
- Developing Woodwind Ensembles, with The Wingra Woodwind Quintet (1-hour video--Cost: $49.50): This video is designed to help students learn rehearsal and performance techniques specific to the woodwind ensemble. Available in VHS only.
- Hill on Horn, with Douglas Hill (2-hour video--Cost: $89.50): This videotape has detailed information for teachers as well as for horn players from beginner to advanced. It includes basic information on posture, breathing, embouchure, aperture, pitch and dynamic ranges, articulation and technique, plus practice formats, transpositions, and excerpts from a cross-section of literature performed on different historical horns.
- Phillips on Tuba, with Harvey Phillips (1-hour video--Cost: $89.50): Performing excerpts in a variety of styles, Philips demonstrates the combination of all the "P's" related to the tuba: posture, placement, position, pronunciation, projection, preparing, practice, planning, perfection, performance, pride, personality, and potential. Available in VHS only.
- Developing Brass Ensembles, with The Wisconsin Brass Quintet (1-hour video--Cost: $49.50): This presentation will help young brass ensembles with rehearsal and performance techniques. Available in VHS only.
- BASSically Karr, with Gary Karr (2-hour, 15- minute video--Cost: $89.50): From carrying and lifting the instrument to the power of sound, pitch bow placement and speed, string crossing, left hand positions, pizzicato, acoustics, practice and performance techniques, Gary Karr discusses and demonstrates a multitude of subjects.
- KARRdiology, Performances from the heart by Gary Karr (30 - minute video - Cost: $25.50): In response to numerous requests, this video of performance - only selections by internationally renowned bassist Gary Karr from the Educational Video, BASSically Karr. Performances include Irish Tunes from County, Valse Minature (Koussevitsky), The Swan from Carnival of Animals (Saint - Saens), Fantasie Sonnambula and Tarantella in A Minor (Bottesini), Prelude No. 2 (Gerschwin).
- Rabin on Strings, with Marvin Rabin (2-tapes; 3-hour, 45 minute video--Cost: $139.50): This presentation covers discussion of pedagogical concepts and methods of string instruction and demonstrations (with colleagues) on the application of these concepts and why they are valuable to teachers of young string students. Relating to all four instruments, subjects such as shifting, left hand, harmonics, scales, and positioning of the instrument are demonstrated.
- Guide to Orchestral Bowings through Musical Styles, with Priscilla Smith and Marvin Rabin (52-minute video with manual--Cost: $99.50): This video and manual package is designed as an aid toward a better understanding of how bowings affect the styles important in orchestral performance. It includes definition, description (visual and tonal) of bowing techniques with explanations, characteristics and applications of bow usage.
- The Joy of Shifting and Double Stops, with Jerrie Lucktenberg (2-hour video with manual--Cost: $89.50): This video and manual set presents shifting principles that include audible and inaudible shifting, application of the three shifting categories defined, and application in music excerpts. Double stop segments include preparation and playing of scales in double stops using different intervals and various positions, concluding with application in excerpts and transition to the "Flesch Scale System." Available in VHS only.
- Developing String Ensembles, with The Pro Arte Quartet (1-hour video--Cost: $49.50): Through demonstration and explanation, this video will help young string ensembles with techniques to improve rehearsals and performances. Available in VHS only.
- Keezer on Drum Set, with Ron Keezer (1-hour, 52 minute video--Cost: $89.50): This video consists of two major segments: the first is dialogue, demonstrations and illustrations of 22 basic drum set styles used in jazz; the second part includes set-up, tuning, fills, set solos and interpretation of drum set music.
- Sewrey on Concert Percussion, with James Sewrey (2-hour video--Cost: $89.50): This video demonstrates basic aspects of all standard percussion instruments and performing practices including positioning of instruments, grips and wrist actions of sticks, mallets and beaters; identification and knowledge of notes, rests and time signatures; tensioning, tuning, and adjustment of respective instruments; and how to phrase, shape, and color a non-pitched or pitched musical line.
- Developing Percussion Ensembles, with James Latimer (1-hour video--Cost: $49.50): With members of The University of Wisconsin-Madison Percussion Ensemble, Professor Latimer offers demonstrations and explanations designed to help students in percussion ensemble rehearsals and performances. Available in VHS only.
- Barresi on Adolescent Voice, with Anthony Barresi (2-hour video--Cost: $89.50): This video is designed primarily as a resource for junior high and high school choral teachers who work with the changing voice and for college music education majors. Barresi includes segments on stages of adolescent voice, overview of the change process, and student lessons in breathing and vowel formation.
- Spera on Jazz, with Dominic Spera (2-hour video--Cost: $89.50): Spera uses a high school jazz ensemble as a demonstration group in this video intended for students and teachers of junior high and high school jazz ensembles. This production offers segments on historical roots, jazz language, rehearsal techniques, improvisation, blues, big band sections, interpretation and recommended resources. Available in VHS only.
- Radd on Jazz Piano, with John Radd (1-hour, 48 minute video--Cost:
$89.50): This 3-part presentation is for pianists and piano teachers
who have had little or no training in jazz piano. Available in VHS only.