Narra Smith Cox
Department of Professional Development & Applied Studies and
Department of Liberal Studies and the Arts
Contact: 608-262-2730, email@example.com
- Adolescent sexuality
- HIV/AIDS prevention
- Community and school health
Wisconsin HIV/AIDS Training System –
The Training System coordinates delivery of workshops and other training events to enhance the knowledge and skills of staff and volunteers at agencies funded by the Wisconsin AIDS/HIV Program to provide prevention and care services. See www.wihiv.wisc.edu/trainingsystem/
Wisconsin HIV Community Planning Network –
The goal of this project is to involve community members in planning for a continuum of high quality and effective HIV/AIDS prevention, care, and treatment services to meet current and future needs of individuals and communities with or at risk for HIV infection. See www.wihiv.wisc.edu/communityplanning/
- Community development in Guatemala –
Chronic malnutrition is one measure of serious health disparities facing indigenous population in rural Guatemala. I'm involved with a non-profit organization that addresses these health disparities by constructing infrastructure (water, latrines, etc.), facilitating education (nutrition, early childhood stimulation, etc.) and supporting leadership development to improve community health in selected Guatemalan communities.
- On-Site training and consultation
- Health education
- Wisconsin HIV/AIDS Training System
- Wisconsin HIV Community Planning Network
- A.B.- Vassar College (Latin American Studies)
- M.A.T.- Northwestern University (Teaching)
- PhD - Texas A&M University (Health Planning/Urban & Regional Planning)
Research and Recent Publications
- Cox, NS (2006). Human Growth and Development - A Resource Packet to Assist School Districts in Program Development, Implementation, and Assessment. Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.
- Cox, NS (2003). School HIV Policy Tool Kit. Prepared for Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.
- Goldman KD, Florence J, Cox NS, Hager B, Johnson L, Ramsey DC (2002). Five practitioners perspectives on the how, when, where, what, and why of continuing education. Health Promotion Practice, 3(1): 12-17.
- Cox, NS (Summer 2000). Multicultural education outside the classroom: Building the capacity of HIV prevention peer educators. Multicultural Education.
- Cox, NS (Summer 2000). Enhancing capacity: Peer-led HIV prevention programs in Wisconsin. Peer Facilitator Quarterly.
- Cox, NS (1999). Programs, practices and promises: HIV prevention peer education in Wisconsin. Peer Facilitator Quarterly. (92-98)
- Cox, NS (Fall, 1999). Wisconsin HIV prevention multicultural competency assessment. Facilitator Guide and Assessment Instruments.