Frequently asked questions about art classes
Where are the classes held?
Many of the Continuing Studies art classes are held in the art studios of the UW-Madison Department of Art Humanities Building, 455 N Park Street, Madison.
Other campus and off-campus venues include:
- 21 N. Park Street (UW building at the corner of Park and Regent St.)
- Capitol Lakes Retirement Center, 333 W. Main St, Madison
- Coventry Village Retirement Center, 7707 N. Brookline Dr. (far west Madison)
- Oak Park Place, 718 Jupiter Dr. (far east Madison) West Madison Ag Research Station, 8502 Mineral Point Rd, Verona
- Whispering Woodlands, 1600 Speedway Rd, Verona
The location of each class is posted on our Art Classes page and is listed on your registration confirmation.
Where can I park?
UW campus parking information (in some lots you can purchase a spot ahead of time)
- Lot 46 between University Ave. & Johnson St (enter off Frances St. or Lake St.)
- Fluno Center located at 601 University Ave. (enter on Frances St.; booth is staffed from 7am-10pm, Mon-Sat.)
- Grainger Hall between University Ave. & Johnson St. (enter from Brooks St.)
- Lucky Building public parking (enter on Lake St. between Johnson & Lake; Public parking in a 24-hour, metered, ramp that is part of the University Square development)
What art supplies are required for each class?
Supply lists for each class can be accessed from the UW-Madison Continuing Studies Art Classes page. The instructor's phone number and e-mail address is listed in case you have questions about the items on the supply list.
The art supply lists are also sent to various art supply stores. The staff at these Madison locations can help you find what you will need:
- Artist & Craftsman Supply, 201 W. Gorham St., Madison
- Hobby Lobby, 2351 W Broadway, Monona
- Lynn’s, 5928 Odana Rd, Madison
- State Street Mall (art supplies section), Madison
- University Book Store, 711 State Street, Madison (between Lake & Park St.)
- Wisconsin Craft Market, 148 Westgate Mall, Madison (corner of Whitney Way & Odana Rd.)
Can I store my supplies?
Yes, if your class is held in the Humanities Building. Bring a combination lock and find an empty locker to store your art supplies. Lockers must be emptied and locks removed at the end of each semester.
Do I need previous art training to take these classes?
No. Most classes are geared for the beginner or those with some art experience. The instructors give each student individual attention to help achieve his/her goals. A few classes are for those with more experience. They will be identified in the title and in the course description.
How do I withdraw from a class?
Cancellation policy: If you are unable to attend you may obtain a refund minus the $20 administrative fee by contacting our registration department at least 3 business days prior to the program. If you cancel 3 business days or less before the program, or do not attend, you are responsible for the entire fee.
Withdrawal policy: A pro-rated refund may be available if you withdraw after taking only one session in class series. Withdrawals must be requested before the start of a second session. Contact Lori O’Neill by phone: 608-263-6322 or email: email@example.com
Inclement Weather Class Cancellations
To see of a class has been cancelled due to inclement weather, call the Division of Continuing Studies class cancellation line at 608-263-4432 or go to http://continuingstudies.wisc.edu/class-cancellation.htm
Please contact Lori O'Neill at: 608-263-6322 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.