Join us for a safari in wild and remote southern Tanzania and a relaxing visit to the exotic island of Zanzibar!
What you'll experience
One of the wildest and most rewarding wildlife destinations on the planet, the national parks of southern Tanzania are more remote and far less visited than their northern counterparts, providing you an opportunity for an intimate connection to the landscape and animal life of this truly amazing country.
Your journey begins in Dar es Salaam with a day of rest after the long flight, then it kicks into full gear the following morning with an early bush flight to the largest national park in Tanzania, Ruaha National Park. Set along the Great Ruaha River, you will spend 2 nights at Ruaha River Lodge, spending your days on game drives in this rugged, riverine setting.
From Ruaha you travel overland to one of Africa's most pristine and biodiverse ecosystems in Udzungwa Mountains National Park where you hike through the amazing plant life and gorgeous vistas up to beautiful Sanje Water Falls.
Leaving Udzungwa you travel overland to lovely Mikumi National Park for a full day of safari before arriving at your final safari destination, Selous Game Reserve. You'll spend 3 nights in the largest game preserve in the world enjoying walking safaris, boat safaris, and driving safaris while lodged in a peaceful and spectacular setting on the shores of the Rufiji River.
Leaving the wilderness behind, you'll conclude your Tanzanian journey by flying to the beautiful and exotic island of Zanzibar for 3 luxurious nights in your bungalow on the Indian Ocean!
Join us in one of the world's most unique and rewarding destinations. Join us on safari in Tanzania!
Monday, August 25
- Depart US for Tanzania
Tuesday, August 26
- Day of air transit as we travel from Chicago to Istanbul, then from Istanbul to Dar es Salaam.
Wednesday, August 27 • Dar es Salaam
- Arrive very early in the morning and transfer to our hotel for a day of rest and leisure, joining the group for a welcome dinner in the hotel.
Thursday, August 28 • Ruaha National Park
- Board an early bush flight to Msembe airstrip and board your Land Rover to Ruaha River Lodge for lunch and an afternoon game drive.
Friday, August 29 • Ruaha National Park
- A full-day of safari along the Great Ruaha River and the vast elephant herds of the interior, with another overnight at the lodge.
Saturday, August 30 • Udzungwa Mountains National Park
- After a short game drive in Ruaha you'll depart overland for the day's drive to the stunning biodiversity of the Udzungwa Mountains and settle into your room at the Udzungwa Falls Lodge.
Sunday, August 31 • Udzungwa Mountains National Park
- Enjoy a whole day of hiking in this remote and little-visited primeval landscape. Known for its biodiversity, lush tropical vegetation, and rich bird life of over 400 species, Udzungwa is a rare and unconventional game viewing destination.
Monday, September 1 • Mikumi National Park
- This morning you depart the mountains for the Mkata River and Mikumi National Park. Tanzania's most reliable place to view the world's largest antelope, the eland, the park is full of wildlife ranging from lions to hippos, with a vast array of birds.
Tuesday, September 2 • Selous Game Reserve
- Today you drive to one of Africa's largest protected wildernesses of any kind, the vast and undisturbed Selous Game Reserve. Over 50,000 square kilometers of dense bush, open grasslands, swamps, rivers, and forests sustain significant concentrations of elephant, black rhino, cheetah, giraffe, hippo, crocodile, and many, many other species.
Wednesday, September 3 • Selous Game Reserve
- A full day of game viewing in this unspoiled paradise. A morning and afternoon safari by vehicle, capped by an evening boat safari on the Rufiji River.
Thursday, September 4 • Selous Game Reserve
- This morning experience the genuine thrill of a walking safari, followed by a full day of game drives in the Reserve.
Friday, September 5 • Zanzibar
- Departing Selous you'll transfer to Mtemere airstrip for your bush flight to Dar es Salaam where you'll catch the flight to the beautiful and relaxing island of Zanzibar.
Saturday, September 6 • Zanzibar
- Today you enjoy a half-day tour of Zanzibar's capital, Stone Town, with the rest of the day at leisure at your beach bungalow.
Sunday, September 7 • Zanzibar
- A full day of leisure at the beach lodge.
Monday, September 8 • Dar es Salaam
- This morning you transfer to Zanzibar airport for a flight to Dar es Salaam and our day room at the Serena Hotel. This evening the group has a farewell dinner at the hotel before a transfer back to the airport for the flight home to the US.
Tuesday, September 9
- Our flight departs Dar es Salaam in the wee hours of September 9, connecting in Istanbul for our flight to Chicago. It will still be September 9 when you arrive in Chicago.
General Information: Everyone is welcome to join us. The nature of safari is different than many other travel adventures in that you spend a great deal of time sitting on your bum rather than standing on your feet, so being able to walk for hours at a time is not as important as it may be on other trips. However: there is a day of somewhat strenuous hiking in the Udzungwa Mountains, and there is also a walking safari in Selous, so please be aware of these more active components that are included in the itinerary. You may, of course, stay at the lodge in lieu of these activities, should you wish. Thank you.
Cost: $8799. The price of this is trip is $8799, based upon double occupancy. This includes roundtrip airfare between Chicago and Tanzania, and all transportation, lodging, meals, entrance fees, guides, and university staff services. Single supplement is $1217.