An extraordinary weekend of performances by some of the world's most accomplished musicians, actors, dancers, and artists
Unlike any other destination in the USA, Charleston, South Carolina comes alive for three weeks every summer for Spoleto Festival and we'll be there for an entire weekend of the best that the festival has to offer!
What you'll experience
Every year our Educational Travel Program goes down to the warm and gracious city of Charleston, SC, to spend a weekend at what is widely considered the premier performing arts festival in the country. Artists and performers from around the world arrive in Charleston for three weeks at the beginning of summer to celebrate the creative spirit and, once again, we will be there to enjoy their work.
Your weekend with us begins on Friday afternoon as you arrive at the roomy and welcoming Embassy Suites in Historic Charleston and settle in for our educational seminar. Later that evening your performance calendar opens up with a powerful dance performance of OCD Love by the group L-E-V, driven musically by the live pulsing grooves of DJ Ori Lichtik.
Saturday morning you’ll enjoy a guided city tour of Charleston, ending at the Historic Dock Street Theater for a session of the popular Chamber Music series. The ‘heart and soul’ of Spoleto, the chamber music series draws world class players from around the world to Charleston for nine different programs spread out over the course of the festival. Playing to packed houses, the casual and relaxed format of the performances brings out the best from these musicians and is always a highlight of our weekend.
Your Saturday afternoon is free to explore the historic downtown, dine, peruse the myriad art galleries, or wander the lovely neighborhoods leading down to the battery. You can take a boat out to Fort Sumter, or visit any of the historic houses open to the public. Charleston is known far and wide for its friendly and welcoming disposition, so make sure to take advantage of your time here.
Saturday night your performance schedule resumes with concert tickets to the Spoleto Festival Orchestra as they present Gustav Mahler’s Symphony No 4, and Dreaming, by Icelandic composer Anna Thorvaldsdottir.
Sunday morning is free for you to enjoy as you wish until your matinee performance of Ramona, by the extraordinary marionette company from Tbilisi, Georgia, Gabriadze Theater. Your weekend concludes that night with tickets to Samuel Beckett’s play, Waiting for Godot, presented by one of the world’s great theater companies, Galway’s Druid Theater.
This will be another wonderful weekend of performing and visual arts in one of America’s finest historic regions. We invite you to join us!
Friday, June 2
- Fly to Charleston, SC, and transfer to Embassy Suites Historic Charleston.
- Enjoy a History of Charleston lecture and get to know your fellow travelers at the hotel’s complimentary daily happy hour!
- Tonight you attend a performance of OCD Love by the dance company L-E-V.
Saturday, June 3
- This morning you’ll enjoy a guided tour of this lovely city before arriving at the Dock Street Theater for a Chamber Music performance.
- Your afternoon is completely unscheduled so that you can craft your experience in Charleston to suit your interests.
- Tonight you attend a presentation of Mahler’s Symphony No 4 and Anna Thorvaldsdottir’s Dreaming by the Spoleto Festival Orchestra.
Sunday, June 4
- You are free to do as you wish this morning.
- At 2pm you enjoy a dazzling production of Ramona by Gabriadze Theater.
- For your final performance of the festival you have tickets for one of the most important plays of the 20th century, Waiting for Godot. Galways’s Druid Theatre returns once more to Spoleto Festival and it will be a fine way to cap our weekend.
Monday, June 5
- This morning the coach will transfer you back to the airport for your flight home.
$1,699 per person based on double occupancy; plus air. Price includes premier seating at all performances, three nights lodging, seminar, post-show discussion, lunch with the cast, and all transfers. Single supplement is $431.
Airfare is not included in this package price. Upon receipt of your deposit we will put you in contact with our travel agent who can make your flight arrangements, regardless of your point of origin, if you wish. If you plan to make your own air arrangements, please contact us first to confirm your space/ground arrangements.
You’ll enjoy roomy and comfortable accommodations at the beautiful Embassy Suites Historic Charleston.
For performance information go online at: spoletousa.org
Registration: To register, complete the registration form and mail it to:
Educational Travel Program
21 N Park St., 7th Floor
Madison, WI 53715