An unforgettable journey to a mystical land
What you'll experience
Join the University of Wisconsin-Madison on an unforgettable journey to the mystical land of Peru, and experience the best that this amazing country has to offer. From the colonial capital of Lima to the freshwater splendor of Lake Titicaca; the heights of the Andes Mountains to the depths of the Amazon Basin, you will experience archaeological and ecological wonders at every turn.
A tour of Lima, its palaces and its incomparable archaeological museum, precedes your trip to the beautiful “White City” of Arequipa, nestled beneath the volcano El Misti. Enjoy some time in this beautiful colonial city before descending into spectacular Colca Canyon, one of the deepest on earth at 3200 meters. Next, you’ll transfer to Puno, on stunning Lake Titicaca, where you will visit Taquile Island and the amazing Floating Islands of the Uros people.
After 2 nights on the lake, your climb into the Andes continues as you travel through the Sacred Valley of the Inca on your way to the archaeological capital of the Americas, Cuzco. Shop in the indigenous market at Pisac, visit the Inca Fortress at Ollantaytambo, and gaze in awe at the legendary “Lost City of the Inca”, Machu Picchu.
Your adventure comes to a tropical finale in the Reserva Nacionale Tombopata, for 3 days of river trips and wildlife viewing excursions in the lush rainforest of the Rio Tambopata, the uppermost tributary of the Amazon River!
Don’t miss this opportunity to explore the fascinating world of the Pre-Columbian Nazca and Inca civilizations, meet their descendants, and marvel at their ingenuity, craftsmanship and culture. With expert local guides at every location you will gain an understanding of their past, and insights into their future, as they confront the ecological and human challenges that exist in this beautiful and unforgiving landscape. Spectacular archaeological ruins, amazing biodiversity, and extraordinary humanity; this trip will have it all.
Join us and experience the mystery and majesty of Peru!
Group size will be limited to 25 persons in order to ensure a quality experience, facilitate our movements, and minimize our impact upon the land and the people.
Sunday, March 1
- Depart US to Lima, Peru.
Monday, March 2 • Lima
- Enjoy a full day city tour of Colonial Lima and Gold Museum.
T-Th March 3-5 • Arequipa and Colca Canyon
- Experience the colonial splendor of Peru’s famed “White City”, and embark on a 2-night trip into the second deepest canyon on earth. Enjoy a free day in the canyon for outdoor activities, hot pools, and taking in the incredible scenery.
Fr-S March 6-7 • Lake Titicaca/Puno
- Fly to Puno to sail on spectacular Lake Titicaca for a visit to Taquile Island and the floating reed islands of the Uros people.
Su-W March 8-11
- Sacred Valley of the Inca - Travel through the breathtaking scenery of the Urubamba Valley, high into the Andes for visits to the extraordinary ruins of the Inca Empire.
- Pisac and Ollantaytambo - Shop at the indigenous market and visit the Inca Fortress.
- Machu Picchu - Experience the legendary “Lost City of the Inca”; one of the most breathtaking locations on the planet.
- Cuzco - Explore this fascinating city and the surrounding Inca sites of Paca Pucara, Qenko, Sacsayhuaman and Tambo Machay.
Th-Su March 12-15 • Reserva Nacional Tambopata
- Fly to Puerto Maldonado deep in the Amazon Basin and board a motorized dugout canoe for your trip upstream to a remote lodge on the Rio Tambopata for 3 days of expertly guided wildlife viewing, visits to the canopy tower, night excursions, bird watching, nature hikes, hammock time, and more.
M March 16
- Depart for overnight flight to USA.
T March 17
- Arrive USA
General Information: Everyone is welcome to join us, and we assure you of an amazing educational experience. You will enjoy comfortable private ground transportation, beautiful hotels, outstanding archaeological and cultural sites, stupendous landscapes and fascinating indigenous people throughout your journey with us.
We ask you to please understand, however, that this trip will include a great deal of walking, as all trips to Peru must. You should expect cobbled city streets, uneven ground in the ruins, some muddy trails in the Amazon and, occasionally, steep terrain in the Sacred Valley.
Peru is an absolutely fantastic destination. Join us!!
Cost: $The price of this trip is $7,499, based upon double occupancy. The all-inclusive price includes your roundtrip airfare to Peru from the US, all of your lodging, entry fees, coach services, train tickets, boat tickets, local guides and domestic flights in Peru. Also included in this price are all of your breakfasts, several lunches and most of your evening meals.
Arequipa: Sonesta Posada del Inca »
Colca Canyon: Colca Lodge »
Sacred Valley: Sol Y Luna »
Cuzco Hotel Libertador »
Amazon: Posada Amazonas »
Questions about our trip to Peru or other upcoming Educational Travel destinations? Email Doug Whittle or call him at 608-263-7787.