One of the most fascinating countries on earth reveals her architectural, cultural, and natural treasures to you on this journey into the heart and soul of India!
What you'll experience
Join UW-Madison and travel to the Subcontinent where you will learn the long and complex history of the capital, Delhi; witness the timeless rituals on the banks of the River Ganges in Varanasi; follow the path of countless Buddhist pilgrims to Sarnath; explore the erotic Hindu temples of Khajuraho; visit the romantic ruins of Orchha; and gaze in awe at the sublime Taj Mahal in Agra!
You then head west to the 'Pink City' of Jaipur where you'll visit the ancient observatory, navigate the renowned bazaars, and visit the beautiful city palace. Your sojourn finishes with a flourish at the spice markets in the 'Blue City' of Jodhpur, to visit the graceful forts, palaces, and temples throughout this city on the edge of the Thar Desert.
You'll travel in the comfort and style that you've come to expect from our trips while our expert guides unlock the mysteries of India and her extravagant past, lead you through the complexities of her modern state, and immerse you in the unique sights, sounds, and flavors of this amazing and unforgettable land.
A place like no other — INDIA!
Thursday, November 6
- Depart USA for India.
Friday, November 7 • Delhi
- Arrive in Delhi and transfer to your hotel
Saturday, November 8 • Delhi
- On your first day in the city you will tour New Delhi with stops at Qutab Minar, the tomb of Humayun, the India Gate, parliament, and the Presidential residence.
Sunday, November 9 • Delhi
- Today you will explore the fascinating monuments, mosques, and markets of Old Dehli; including the Mahatma Ghandi Memorial.
Monday, November 10 • Varanasi
- A morning flight will take you to Varanasi, India's holiest city, where you'll explore the bustling markets and observe the daily rituals on the ghats along the river Ganges by foot and by boat.
Tuesday, November 11 • Varanasi and Sarnath
- An early morning boat ride on the sacred Ganges will take you to the temples of Annapurna and Siva, and in the afternoon you will visit the holy city of Sarnath, where the Buddha gave his first sermon.
Wednesday-Thursday, November 12-13 • Khajuraho
- After a morning of leisure in Varanasi, you travel by air to Khajuraho where you will spend 2 days visiting the resplendent Hindu 'Temples of Love.' Delicately sensual and unabashedly erotic, these 10th-12th century masterpieces are the greatest achievement of the Chandella dynasty.
Friday, November 14 • Orchha to Agra
- Today you'll visit the fabled ruins of Orchha, a photographer's delight serenely situated above the River Betwa, and then proceed by fast train to Agra.
Saturday, November 15 • Agra
- Visit the tomb of Mirza Ghiyath Beg, Agra Fort, and, of course, the magnificent Taj Mahal; Shah Jahen's beautiful and unparalleled monument to love.
Sunday-Monday, November 16-17 • Jaipur
- Discover Rajasthan architecture at its best. Visit the intriguing 'Palace of Winds,' explore the City Palace Museum, the Jantar Mantar Observatory, and meander through Asia's most vibrant bazaars within the walls of the famed 'Pink City'!
Tuesday-Wednesday, November 18-19 • Jodhpur
- On the eastern fringe of the desert you'll visit the astounding fortress of Meherangarh in India's 'Blue City' and have plenty of time to explore the markets and craft shops in this graceful and fascinating city.
Thursday, November 20
- Travel from Jodhpur to Delhi for a farewell dinner before transferring to the international airport for your flight home.
Friday, November 21
- Arrive USA
General Information: Everyone is welcome to join us. Your lodging in India will be of very high standards, service will be outstanding, meals will be delicious, and the sights will be extraordinary. We will have comfortable private transportation at all times on the trip, but please understand that there will also be a fair share of walking in order to properly experience the sights that we are traveling to India to see.
India is a land of paradox. The glories of Indian architecture and the majesty of her people and past will light up your imagination and fire your senses in a way that can't be replicated anywhere else on earth; but abject poverty in India is real, crowds will be large, and many sights and sounds will be very foreign; so a curious, compassionate, and open mind will be an asset in order to fully appreciate the journey.
You will enjoy a daily breakfast every morning, and we've got 13 other meals planned for you that will ensure that you experience the best that Indian cuisine has to offer; but we won't dictate your restaurant to you every time you eat. For several lunches and dinners you may dine wherever you wish so that you may explore the amazing realm of Indian cuisine to whatever degree you desire.
This is going to be a wondrous journey to a truly unique and fascinating place. Few countries on our planet can compare to the depth and breadth of India's religious, cultural, and architectural history and diversity, and a visit to this land can change you for the better.
Please join us.
Cost: $6,599. Includes your roundtrip international airfare, 3 internal flights, train tickets, boat tickets, and all ground transportation; all lodging, daily breakfasts and 15 other meals; all entry fees, all transfers, guides, gratuities, and services. This price is based upon double occupancy; single supplement is $1,413 extra.
Personal tips and drinks are extra, as is your visa and any airport departure taxes.