Chronic and late-onset misuse and abuse of alcohol and other substances presents a serious and complex challenge among older adults. The complexities are related to co-morbid illness, medication management, and late-life loss of social networks and purpose.
- Explain how the brain responds to substance abuse in late life.
- Compare and contrast the impact of alcohol on the body between older adults and the general adult population.
- Identify the allowable amount of various alcohol products for persons 65+.
- List 3 screening tools for geriatric alcohol abuse.
- Describe the potential for medication mismanagement as a substance abuse issue in aging.
- Explain the potential adverse side effects of alcohol on prescription medications for older adults.
- Explain how Screening, Brief Intervention, Referral and Intervention (SBRI) can be effectively used for elderly people with alcohol problems.