Nursing Home Administration Licensure Preparation Course (Independent Study)
This independent-study correspondence course is ideal for long-term-care professionals, especially those wanting to take the NHA licensing exam. The program consists of 12 revised hour-long lectures, each accompanied by outlines, assignments, and reading materials. Topics include long-term care, ethics, nursing services, pharmaceutical services, dietary services, management and leadership, planning for change, and finance. This course must be completed within one year from date of registration.
Students must have experience working in a skilled nursing facility.
At a glance
What: Nursing Home Administration Licensure Preparation Course (Independent Study)
When: Start anytime, complete within 1 year
Where: Correspondence Course
Continuing education credit: 36 hours (3.6 CEUs)
Instructor: Suzanna Waters Castillo, MSSW, PhD
or register by phone at
For additional information, contact Suzanna Waters Castillo, MSSW, PhD: 608-263-3174
- Summarize the long-term care field.
- Describe the basics of management and the needs of elderly residents.
- Recognize the professional development needs of nursing home administrators.
- Fulfills State of Wisconsin requirements necessary to sit for the NHA licensing exam
- Prepares you for entry into the nursing home/long-term care administration field
How the course works
The program consists of 12 hour-long lectures (CD), each accompanied by corresponding outlines, assignments, and related reading materials. Students mail assignments to instructor for review; instructor mails back with comments.
Students are expected to complete the course within 1 year of their date of registration. A 6-month extension may be granted at the instructor's discretion. If the course is not completed within that time, the student will need to re-register and pay the full program fee.
When all 12 sets of assignments are successfully completed, students will receive a letter and a certificate of completion from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Continuing Studies will also send an official letter to the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services, Nursing Home Examining Board which qualifies the student to take the licensing exam. Students from states other than Wisconsin should check with their state's licensing board to find out if this course will also meet their requirements.
Policies and procedures
The University of Wisconsin–Madison Division of Continuing Studies is responsible for administering the NHA course. It is not responsible for the state licensure of Nursing Home Administrators. All questions regarding the state examination should be directed to the Department of Safety and Professional Services. Students of the course may visit the following links to find information regarding the state of Wisconsin licensure and examination procedures.
Hint: Nursing Home Administrator is considered a "Business Profession" by the state.
Licensure contact: Ann Cusack, firstname.lastname@example.org
Return Policy for Participants Who HAVE NOT Begun Course Work
Students who wish to cancel their registration and return the course materials, and who are no longer interested in pursuing completion of the course, may return materials within 3 months of the date of registration. If course materials are returned complete and like new, and registration is cancelled, participants may receive a refund less $45.00.
* Return Policy for Participants Who HAVE Begun Course Work
Students who have begun the course (sent in work and received it back with comments) are eligible for a $225 refund if course registration is cancelled and materials are returned complete and in like-new condition within 6 months. This refund reflects half of the course fee after the nonrefundable administrative fee of $45.00 is deducted.
* No refunds will be given 6 months after the date of registration.
To cancel your registration:
- Call The Pyle Center Registrations Office at: 608-262-2451
- Email the Program Administrator, Maureen Friend at email@example.com and the course instructor, Dr. Suzanna Waters Castillo at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and a note that you would like to cancel your registration and that you will be returning the course materials by mail.
- Return the course materials by mail to:
Division of Continuing Studies
21 N. Park St., 7th Floor
Madison, WI 53715
- Introduction to long-term care
- Aging process and gerontology
- Long-term care: chronic diseases
- Physical rehabilitation
- Ethical issues
- Unique nature of health administration
- Nursing and physician services
- Dietary and activity services
- Pharmaceutical services
- Social work services
- The evolving management role
- Planning for change
- Organizing and delegating
- Managing human resources
- Basics of finance and accounting
- Law and personnel management
- Measurement and control
- Employee relations
Method: 12 hour-long lectures on CD plus written materials.
Fees: The cost of the complete course includes written materials and CDs.
Approved hours: Upon completion, students will receive 36 continuing education hours (3.6 CEUs) from UW-Madison, and we will submit your name to the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services as being eligible to take the Administrator's Licensing Exam.
- The end date you will see on the online registration form does not apply. Students are expected to complete the course within 1 year of their date of registration. A 6-month extension may be granted at the instructors discretion. If the course is not completed within that time, the student will need to re-register and pay the full program fee.
- Register online or call 608-262-2451, or toll free 800-725-9692.
Contact: Email Suzanna Waters Castillo or call 608-263-3174.