Human Resource Management Certificate
Complete this comprehensive certificate to develop the skills and competencies for a professional career in human resources. Human resources offers dynamic and rewarding career opportunities. Learners gain HR knowledge through practical, applied, and theoretical lessons. Become a trusted HR generalist and business advisor. Taught by HR executives and business leaders. Earn your seven-module certificate in as little as nine months. Save $570 by enrolling in the entire certificate.
At a glance
What: Human Resource Management Certificate
When: Thu-Fri, Sep 14-15, Oct 5-6, 26-27, Feb 8-9, Mar 1-2, Apr 12-13, May 10-11, 8:30am-4pm
Where: Pyle Center, 702 Langdon St., Madison, WI
Cost: $3,595 through Aug 30; $4,165 after | Please inquire about the Govt/Non-profit Rate
Continuing education credit: 91 hours (9.1 CEUs)
or register by phone at
For additional information, contact Patrick Jackson: 608-262-4509
Complete in as little as 9 months
The seven modules can be taken individually, or enrolled in as the entire certificate for a $570 savings. Must complete all seven modules within 36 months to earn the certificate. Each module will consist of twodays face-to-face with practical content lectures and hands-on applied activities.
HR Certificate Modules
- HR Fundamentals: Advising & Problem-solving: Build your skills in this gateway course to your career in human resources. Develop the foundation to be an influential HR professional and serve as a trusted advisor to business leaders and employees. We cover a broad overview of human resource management competencies, leadership and organizational behavior concepts, effective advising and consultation skills, systematic problem-solving tools, and project management principles.
- Employment Legal Issues: HR professionals often serve as the conscience for organizations regarding decisions and actions that impact its employees, as well as the protectors of legal compliance. As such, HR professionals must be knowledgeable in labor law and prepared to intervene when necessary to minimize legal exposure. This module will provide an introduction to labor laws including, 1) Fair Labor Standards Act, 2) Family and Medical Leave Act, 3) Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and Anti-Discrimination Laws, 4) National Labor Relations Act, 5) Occupational Safety and Health Act, and many more.
- Tools of the HR Partner – Business Knowledge & Metrics: HR professionals are business leaders, and as such, they must be business savvy and demonstrate HR's impact on an organization's bottom-line. Develop the business acumen to understand organizational drivers such as mission, vision, values, and strategy. Furthermore, utilize such drivers to encourage employee behaviors and actions at all levels of the organization and across business functions. Learn HR application of business analytical tools such as ROI, employee metrics, and accounting basics. Analyze HR metrics and how to present analysis results to key stakeholders and project sponsors.
- Strategic Staffing & Workforce Planning: An organization is only as strong as its talent and as healthy as its workforce planning strategy. Successfully recruiting, hiring, and retaining of the best talent is a competitive advantage in a tight labor market. But how is this done well, while avoiding the many human biases and legal pitfalls? This module will share effective recruitment strategies to attract a diverse workforce, techniques for interviewing and selecting the best candidate, strategies to plan for future workforce needs, the mechanics of a reduction in workforce, and examination of the related labor laws and methods to avoid legal exposure
- Total Rewards Management 1 – Benefits, Work-Life, and Recognition: Acknowledging and addressing employees' holistic needs inside and outside of work is essential to achieving the benefits of the Total Rewards Management (TRM) philosophy. This module will focus on Benefits, Work-Life, and Recognition Programs. Learn the vast compliance requirements of Benefit administration from open enrollment to planning for retirement. Embrace a work-life balance model that creates flexibility for employees and reduces time away from work. Implement recognition programs as a cost effective means of reinforcing organizational values and desired behaviors.
- Total Rewards Management 2 – Compensation and Performance Management: Total Rewards (TRM) is a management philosophy that, if done correctly, will result in a more motivated, engaged, and committed workforce. This module will focus on Compensation Administration and Fearless Performance Management. Various compensation structures and mechanics will be explored that elicit desired employee behaviors. Learn how to conduct meaningful, fair, and accurate performance appraisals and performance improvement planning to foster employee development.
- Strategic HR Execution: Increase your effectiveness as an HR professional and learn to move from tactical to strategic thinking when faced with challenging situations. Explore strategic thinking versus strategic planning, discover how to develop your strategic thinking skills to gain influence in your organization, and apply practical tools to leverage your new HR insights. Transform theory to practice by applying techniques and knowledge derived throughout the HR Certificate to formulate strategic recommendations and drive decision-making for key stakeholders.