Narra Smith Cox
Department Chair/Professor, Liberal Arts and Applied Studies
Phone: (608) 262-2730, 800-442-4617; email: email@example.com
Narra is chairperson of Liberal Arts and Applied Studies (LAAS), the academic department in the Division of Continuing Studies. She also directs the Wisconsin HIV Outreach Project, a partnership with the State AIDS/HIV Program to facilitate community planning for HIV prevention and care as well as a statewide training system for HIV service providers.
- Adolescent sexuality
- HIV/AIDS prevention
- Community and school health
Wisconsin HIV/AIDS Training System –
The Training System coordinates delivery of workshops and other training events to enhance the knowledge and skills of staff and volunteers at agencies funded by the Wisconsin AIDS/HIV Program to provide prevention and care services. See www.wihiv.wisc.edu/trainingsystem/
Wisconsin HIV Community Planning Network –
The goal of this project is to involve community members in planning for a continuum of high quality and effective HIV/AIDS prevention, care, and treatment services to meet current and future needs of individuals and communities with or at risk for HIV infection. See www.wihiv.wisc.edu/communityplanning/
Community development in Guatemala –
Chronic malnutrition is one measure of serious health disparities facing indigenous population in rural Guatemala. I'm involved with a non-profit organization that addresses these health disparities by constructing infrastructure (water, latrines, etc.), facilitating education (nutrition, early childhood stimulation, etc.) and supporting leadership development to improve community health in selected Guatemalan communities.
- A.B.- Vassar College (Latin American Studies)
- M.A.T.- Northwestern University (Teaching)
- PhD - Texas A&M University (Health Planning/Urban & Regional Planning)
Selected Presentations and Publications
- Cox, NS (February 13, 2014). Assessing Your HGD Curriculum: “How to” with HECAT. Presentation at Adolescent Health Symposium. Madison, WI.
- Cox NS and Stern, L (July 25, 2013). Sexuality Education for Now and Later: Developing an Effective and Relevant Curriculum. Presentation at Best Practices in Physical Education and Health Conference. Stevens Point, WI.
- Cox NS (October, 2010). Health Information and Tools for Educational Support Professionals. Presentation at Wisconsin Education Association Council Annual Conference. Madison, WI.
- Cox, NS (2006). Human Growth and Development - A Resource Packet to Assist School Districts in Program Development, Implementation, and Assessment. Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.
- Cox, NS (2003). School HIV Policy Tool Kit. Prepared for Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.
- Goldman KD, Florence J, Cox NS, Hager B, Johnson L, Ramsey DC (2002). Five practitioners perspectives on the how, when, where, what, and why of continuing education. Health Promotion Practice, 3(1): 12-17.
To see the full faculty and staff of the Continuing Studies Division, visit us here»