Frequently asked questions about art classes
Where are the classes held?
Many of the Continuing Studies art classes are held in the art studios of the UW-Madison Department of Art Humanities Building, 455 N Park Street, Madison.
Other campus and off-campus venues include:
- Capitol Lakes Retirement Center, 333 W. Main St, Madison
- Coventry Village Retirement Center, 7707 N. Brookline Dr. (far west Madison)
- Oak Park Place, 718 Jupiter Dr. (far east Madison)
- UW Arboretum Visitors Center, 1207 Seminole Hwy, Madison
- UW-Madison Loft Papermill, 1111 Frances St (across from Kohl Center, Madison)
- West Madison Ag Research Station, 8502 Mineral Point Rd, Verona
Where can I park?
UW campus parking information (in some lots you can purchase a spot ahead of time)
- Lot 46 between University Ave. & Johnson St (enter off Frances St. or Lake St.)
- Fluno Center located at 601 University Ave. (enter on Frances St.; booth is staffed from 7am-10pm, Mon-Sat.)
- Grainger Hall between University Ave. & Johnson St. (enter from Brooks St.)
- Lucky Building public parking (enter on Lake St. between Johnson & Lake; Public parking in a 24-hour, metered ramp that is part of the University Square development)
- State Street Campus Garage, 430 N Frances St (Frances St side)
and 415 N Lake St (Lake St side)
Public parking in a 24-hour, metered ramp
What art supplies are required for each class?
Supply lists for each class, if there are any, can be accessed from that individual class page. The instructor's phone number and email address are listed in case you have questions about the items on the supply list.
The art supply lists are also sent to various art supply stores. The staff at these Madison locations can help you find what you will need:
- Artist & Craftsman Supply, 201 W. Gorham St., Madison
- Hobby Lobby, 2351 W Broadway, Monona
- Lynn’s, 5928 Odana Rd, Madison
- State Street Mall (art supplies section), Madison
- University Book Store, 711 State Street, Madison (between Lake & Park St.)
- Wisconsin Craft Market, 148 Westgate Mall, Madison (corner of Whitney Way & Odana Rd.)
Can I store my supplies?
Yes, if your class is held in the Humanities Building. Bring a combination lock and find an empty locker to store your art supplies. Lockers must be emptied and locks removed at the end of each semester.
Do I need previous art training to take these classes?
No. Most classes are geared for the beginner or those with some art experience. The instructors give each student individual attention to help achieve his/her goals. A few classes are for those with more experience. They will be identified in the title and in the course description.
How do I withdraw from a class?
Cancellation policy: If you are unable to attend you may obtain a refund minus the $25 administrative fee by contacting our registration department at least 3 business days prior to the program. If you cancel 3 business days or less before the program, or do not attend, you are responsible for the entire fee.
Withdrawal policy: A pro-rated refund may be available if you withdraw after taking only one session in class series. Withdrawals must be requested before the start of a second session. Contact Lori O’Neill by phone: 608-263-6322 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Inclement Weather Class Cancellations
To see of a class has been cancelled due to inclement weather, call the Division of Continuing Studies class cancellation line at 608-263-4432 or go to continuingstudies.wisc.edu/class-cancellation.htm
Please contact Lori O'Neill at: 608-263-6322 or e-mail email@example.com.
Return to the Art home page»