Courses with limited access for University Special and Guest students
The following list includes courses and departments that have limited access or may require additional steps prior to enrollment for University Special and Guest students. There may be other courses and/or departments with limited access than those listed below, and courses in any department may be closed due to high enrollment.
If you are a Special or Guest student and would like to take classes in the any of the following schools, colleges, or departments, please contact them directly. Tell them you are a University Special or Guest student interested in taking their courses.
Business, School of
- Many School of Business courses under 699 are open to University Special students but permission may be required. Contact the department if when enrolling you get a message indicating that permission is required to add the class.
Business Administration, Masters in
- Special students are typically not eligible to enroll in MBA courses. Exceptions may be made if student needs to finish one course for their MBA degree or by request of employer for a specific professional development topic.
- Questions may be directed to MBA Student Services, email@example.com, 265-5078.
- Department homepage: www.bus.wisc.edu/mba/
Computer Science Department
- It is generally easier to enroll in courses at the 300-level or below; students must meet relevant prerequisites for any class.
- For more information contact the department at 608-262-1204.
- Department homepage: www.cs.wisc.edu/
Education, School of
- Contact an advisor in the School of Education before applying or enrolling in any courses: www.education.wisc.edu/eas or 608-262-1651.
- Department homepage: www.education.wisc.edu/
- Licensed attorneys or others who believe they have a compelling professional need to take a law course as a Special student must first contact Jane Ford-Bennett, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 608-262-8564. Permission is rarely granted for Special student status.
- Department homepage: www.law.wisc.edu/
Library and Information Studies (SLIS), School of
- See the SLIS Web site for details and instructions applicable to Special students
- Department homepage: www.slis.wisc.edu/
- Questions about prerequisites or placement exams should be directed to the professor or the undergraduate advisor at email@example.com
- Take a placement exam if you have not taken a math course in the last five years AND you are unsure of your skill level through Math 221.There are no placement exams for courses above Math 221.
- Department placement information: https://www.math.wisc.edu/undergraduate/placement
Medicine and Public Health, School of
- Courses are listed by department in the Schedule of Classes. Check eligibility in prerequisites column under each department.
- Department homepage: www.med.wisc.edu/
Music, School of
- Music performance courses are generally filled by music majors. The School of Music offers private music lessons (not for university credit and with separate costs) for non-music majors through the Student Teaching Division at 608-263-1923.
- Participatory music classes are not open to Senior or Guest auditors.
- Band, choir and orchestra courses are open to Special students on a space-available basis. Auditions and/or permissions may be required.
- Information about auditions is posted early in the summer: www.music.wisc.edu
- Chamber and studio ensembles and opera performance courses (Music 256 & 257) are reserved for music majors and are not open to Special students.
- Contact the Music office if you have questions: 608-263-1900; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department homepage: www.music.wisc.edu/
Nursing, School of
- Special students are typically not eligible to take courses in the School of Nursing.
- Exceptions may be made (especially for electives) if a student needs to take a course on a specific professional development topic.
- For more information contact the Admissions Office at 608-263-5202.
- Department homepage: www.son.wisc.edu/
Pharmacy, School of
- Courses are often limited by space and Special students may take only lecture courses (not courses with a lab).
- Instructor permission is required.
- Direct questions to Student and Academic Affairs
- Department homepage: www.pharmacy.wisc.edu/
Spanish and Portuguese Department
- Spanish classes are in high demand. If classes are full, use the wait list feature when attempting to enroll. You will be contacted by email if a space becomes available.
- Department homepage: http://spanport.lss.wisc.edu/