Financial Assistance

If you’re a returning adult student with a significant break in your education, Adult Career and Special Student Services can provide you with financial aid information including: 

Adult Student Awards, Grants, and Scholarships

You may be eligible for scholarships, grants, and awards specifically designed for nontraditional and returning adult students:

UW-Madison Financial Assistance

UW-Madison's Office of Student Financial Aid: Services are available to all undergraduate and graduate students, including returning adults. Some Special nondegree students admitted by Adult Career and Special Student Services are eligible for federal financial aid. Go to scholarships for School and College academic scholarships, scholarships fostering diversity, and scholarships for students with disabilities. Contact or call 608-262-3060.

Graduate School Fellowships: Fellowships are available through the Graduate School Fellowships Office (608-262-5837): graduate students should contact your academic departments for information about fellowships and assistantships.

Child Care Assistance: The Child Care Tuition Assistance Program (CCTAP) assists eligible low-income student-parents with childcare costs while they attend UW-Madison. See their website for deadlines, eligibility requirements, and applications.

Grants Information Collection at the UW-Madison Memorial Library: The collection includes grantsmanship and educational and research funding, as well as literature on proposal-writing, fundraising, nonprofit management, and philanthropy. Non-students may obtain a day pass to access this information.

McBurney Disability Resource Center: Scholarships may be available for undergraduate, graduate, or professional students with a disability. Contact or call 608-263-2741.


Tax Credit for Education

HOPE Scholarship Tax Credit can be claimed for students in their first two years of college or vocational school and who are enrolled on at least a half-time basis in a degree or certificate program for any portion of the year.

Lifetime Learning Tax Credit is for adults who want to go back to school, change careers or upgrade skills by taking a course or two. 

Web Resources for Financial Assistance and Adult Students - The largest and most complete source of scholarships available - Detailed, up-to-date information on approximately 600,000 financial aid opportunities  - Student gateway to the U.S. government


Adult Student Sites - American Council on Education site - career, college, financial aid, and money management